• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump replacement - where to get the plugs in the back?

four_by_ken

OK... power steering pump bracket broke. Got another bracket.

Got the old power steering pump out and got a new one ready to go in, with new pulley too as I could not get the old one off. Actually when I got the bracket I got a another pulley also tossed in. So, I gave up fighting to get the old pulley off and will just install the new pulley.

Now the problem.. I cant get anything off the old pump. There are two plugs. One is just a plug and the other is a plug and mounting stud combined. I cannot get either of these to come off or anything. And, I need to reinstall them on the new pump! Its like whomever installed it used way to much torque on them.

Same with the one hose that is fixed to the pump by way of a fitting. I can order a new hose from LMC (I think), or even Napa would assume. But, I cannot find these darn plugs.

Any help? I hope....

rlwm211

Are you using tubing wrenches? These are wrenches that are designed to go around all but two sides of a fitting. They put a lot more torque on the offending fitting and help to loosen them wihout rounding the hex on the fitting.

Additionally, if you have the old pump off the truck, you can use the box end of the wrench to try to turn the fittings loose.

RL

four_by_ken

No, I am not using tubing wrenches.

Well, I went to town on the heat and got one of them out. The one thats just a bolt really... of course the one that would be easier to replace.

The one that is a mounting stud is extremely thin and I cannot get it to budge.

Same with the high pressure line.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

It looks all burnt because it had fluid/dirt all over it.

rlwm211

I am assuming you have a tank on your new pump. If you can verify the thread on the new pump is 3/8 coarse in the boss, I have a few odds and ends of Chevy bolts and pieces. I can mail out a bolt that ought to work. I do need to know what thread and how deep the threaded boss is. If you are lucky, I may have a washer and gasket as well to seal the tank.

The hose you are best off replacing. It should be a stock item for most parts stores as all that series of Chevy trucks used the same PS pump pretty much.

PM me with your information if you can wait a couple of days for the bolt to get there.

RL

Oldsouthernboy

The "threaded stud" does not come out it is a mounting stud to the L shaped bracket that mounts to the engine bracket. The High pressure fitting is also non removeable or so I have been told. Get the right tool the press the Pump shaft from the pully, do not beat, Remove the three bolts that hold the pump to the old bracket, Look in the 20 manual removet he old pump resovior from the old pump, remove the tank from the new pump, replacing it with old tanks, reassemble. Ohh If have lost or do not have the L shaped bracket that goes on the stud, make one if you can, If missing you will havea broken bracket sooner or later. The bracket reduces the pump bracket flex when the prm changes on the engine.

rlwm211

The pump does come apart if need be

I need to add some clarification to my post.

If the power steering pump is a standard Saginaw pump it has a sheet metal housing which holds the resevoir of fluid for the pump. That entire pump assembly can be taken apart and rebuilt. This includes removing the stud, and the fitting that the outlet hose screws into and then by another bolt on the back of the pump, you can pull the sheetmetal tank off, and then repair or replace the pump.

Now, if the pump assembly in this case is a different design then all I have said is not relevant.

I do have the special puller that you need to remove the pressed on PS and ALT pulleys that are installed on this era of vehicle. If you elect to buy a puller do not get the one that is like a steering wheel puller. It is big, and cannot be used with a radiator in place. You can get a smaller puller than consists of 2 halves and an outside band, along with a center screw assembly which allows you to pull a power steering pulley with the radiator in place.

I have attached the diagram of the pump disassembled taken from the CUCV manual TM9-2320-289-34 which can be found on the resources portion of this site and as you can see it is designed so the stud comes out and the fitting that the high pressure hose screws into also comes out.

Hope this clears stuff up a bit

RL

Attachments

Last edited:

rlwm211

here are the links for a cucv
Operators manual http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=6

Unit maintanence manual http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=8

Unit maintanence repair parts and tools http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=27

Immediate and direct support repair manual http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=10

Parts and tools manual for above http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=200

I strongly suggest downloading these and any other manual you find that is for your vehicle and take a few minutes and read about the procedure you need to do before you start.

Hope this helps

RL