• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Private Message Question

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lately I have been having a problem replying to Private Messages. When I hit the reply button and begin to type my response, the message does not allow me to type my response in a normal sequence. For example, I type the first word and then attempt to enter a space before typing the next word but I am only able to type a continuous string of characters.

DrillerSurplus

Lately I have been having a problem replying to Private Messages. When I hit the reply button and begin to type my response, the message does not allow me to type my response in a normal sequence. For example, I type the first word and then attempt to enter a space before typing the next word but I am only able to type a continuous string of characters.
It_happens_to_me_even_in_posts_likerightnow___I_can't_put_a_space_in_no_matter_what!

But,_you_can_if_you_switch_to_advanced_mode,_so_that's_what_I've_been_doing_for_about_a_month.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I've not had this problem. (I use FF on windows 10) But apparently this is an issue that vBulletin has left it hanging on it's users to figure out. (Once again they have tried to throw it on Google and other companies to be the problem. Their responses are certainly making me consider moving to xenforo.) From what I've found, many who report this problem are using Chrome. Apparently the "fix" is to hit the enter key first in the reply window, or switch to default mode. (Click the A/A button on the to left of the reply window) The other "fix" is to make a global notice at the top of the reply window to tell you how to do this. (But with how people ignore notices, I don't see that being worthwhile to do.) There's one other thing I can try in the css, but I'd like to confirm everyone having problems are using chrome. (And it's the latest update of chrome)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, add me to the list, Chrome.

My fix has been to close Chrome and reopen it. Works every time.

This has only been an issue on SS and recently.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
withsomanyfolksnotusingcapitalizationandpuncuation,whyusespacesbetweenwords? shiftkeyspacebarsameeffort

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My issue did not happen with PMs, just normal posting(iirc)

tobyS

Same problem here. First I typed it and then went back to add the spaces. About half the time closing and re-opening works now....some times I give up.

This is the only site that I have the issue.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use mozilla on my phone, so its not just chrome.
I use Firefox about 99% of the time and have never even seen this. Course if you're using a phone, there's absolutely no way I can duplicate the issue or support it. (Sorry, just being honest, there's so many phones out there and so many variations.)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Same problem here. First I typed it and then went back to add the spaces. About half the time closing and re-opening works now....some times I give up.

This is the only site that I have the issue.

There's other sites that use vB reporting this issue, that's the only reason I found anything about it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've made the change recommended to the css. Outside of that, the only options left are to disable advanced replies as being the default for everyone. Or those using chrome use another browser or revert to the basic editor. Given how people are accustomed to the advanced editor, I'd rather not change that as the global default as I can see this spinning up a new issue.