• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Front Axle Spindle Bearing Depth

faststandard

My son and I are in the midst of a full on front axle rebuild on his M1009. Ran into a question regarding the proper depth of the needle bearings that are pressed into the spindles - after looking through the TMs I cannot for the life of me find what the proper depth should be in order to allow for the little lip seal to function/live.

The factory manual for a 1986 states that the needle bearing should be recessed 0.1" or 0.254mm. I have them installed at this depth right now which makes the lip seal sit slightly proud.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

I installed many of these and never gave it much thought. Getting the old ones out was always the hardest part. I would say you are good to go because I did mine 20 years ago and ran the M1009 over 100K after that. Sold it in 2018 and seen it going a few weeks back. You are a wise man replacing all the seals and dust covers. I disassembled a few that had none of them seals in place. If you followed the manual that precisely you have 1 up on me. I just removed the seized old ones and reinstall new ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks