• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Clunks

Pappa-G

On my 818 when running there is a clunk, clunk, clunk coming from the PTO drive that corasponds with the engine speed. It goes away when the clutch is depressed. Is this normal? The winch shifts in and out of gear fine just the clunking makes me nervous.
I'm going on a road trip next week and don't want the transmission to detonate along I-75.:-x

Thanks!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is hard to diagnose without being there! We do not have any 800 series trucks, so I can relate from the multifuels, which I assume work in a similar manner. First, is the winch drive shaft turning at all times? On ours, the PTO drive shifts to neutral so it does not turn. Make sure that is happening. You do not want the shaft spinning while you are driving. If the PTO shift is disengaging, the PTO shaft is not turning, but the gears in the PTO box and associated gear in the transmission are constantly turning unless the clutch is depressed, stopping them. I suggest you pull the PTO gear box off the side of the transmission and check for damaged gear teeth. Another possible way to check it would be to back off the winch worm shaft brake tension until you can easily turn the shaft, have someone hold the clutch down with the PTO in gear, winch out of gear, transmission in neutral, engine not running, and turn the winch drive shaft by hand. You might feel an interrupted motion or click when a bad gear tooth meshes. If you keep track of how many turns you backed off the winch brake tension bolt on the side of the front cover, you can then easily return it to the original setting.
Regards Marti

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not drive it as is. I would guess you have a broken gear tooth. Your PTO should not make any noise, if it's not engaged. If you are hearing noise with the clutch up(out) and PTO in neutral, I doubt the noise is your pto. Might want to drain the transmission and remove the top cover and have a good close look.

Pappa-G

The shaft that drives the winch isnt turning but there is an "idler" shaft that is, and the clunking is intime with that. I might just remove the PTO drive and run an inoperable winch for the trip.

Pappa-G

What I thought was an idelershaft was for the rear drive and it was ingaged. Though disengauged it made no difference :evil:. The only good information is that the cover on the PTO drive is the same as the trans PTO cover plate. Will keep you posted.