• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question: AMG vs. GM 6.5's

Expendable

it doesnt matter the year. as some of the older blocks still made it into some 2001 Hummer H1s

Engines (GEP)

here is an official dealer for General Engine Products.
also for General Transmission Products (another subsidiary of AM General and only manufacturer of brand new 4L80Es, making AM General only Manuf. for 6.5s and 4L80Es in the US

Expendable

it doesnt matter the year. as some of the older blocks still made it into some 2001 Hummer H1s

Engines (GEP)

here is an official dealer for General Engine Products.
also for General Transmission Products (another subsidiary of AM General and only manufacturer of brand new 4L80Es, making AM General only Manuf. for 6.5s and 4L80Es in the US

Preacherboy

I found a guy on ebay selling 6.5 takeouts for $1600...Ted's trucks n stuff and was curious if you guys thought that would be a good deal for my 98 suburban which looks like will need a new engine. Which stinks because I just bought it, I guess that is why it was being sold!

67_C-30

I found a guy on ebay selling 6.5 takeouts for $1600...Ted's trucks n stuff and was curious if you guys thought that would be a good deal for my 98 suburban which looks like will need a new engine. Which stinks because I just bought it, I guess that is why it was being sold!
The $1600 is a pretty decent price. I have dealt with Ted before, and he is legit. They test all their engines, so it you won't get one that is knocking/skipping or smoking. A lot of people go with the 6.2 takeouts just because of price. We have swapped several 6.2 longblock in 6.5 trucks, and you never know the difference. The 6.2 performs just as well. The biggest thing you have to do is adapt the oil cooler lines and run a oil feed line for the turbo (the 6.5 comes from the front of the block, and you have to plumb from the rear of the block on the 6.2)

67_C-30

The answer the original question, the latest '07 - up P400 6.5 is a beast. It is built how these engines should have been built to begin with. They feature a forged crank, revised forged rods, coated forged pistons and a large, integral cast-iron main girdle and a cast aluminum oil pan to strengthen the bottom end. They also feature better flowing heads with revised water jackets for improved cooling. The compression ratio is slightly lower 20.2 : 1 which would still crank well in the cold, but they are said to be able to handle 25 psi safely. They are rated 250HP and 550 ft lbs out of the box. The P400 will have "P400" cast on the front of the block on the passenger's side of the block (see last pic). The only negative to this engine is if you going to be putting it in a '88 - '98 Chevy truck, a custom oil pan will have to be made. Fortunately, that's not a problem for the older Chevy's or HumVee's!

Attachments

Chief_919

I have a 2006 AMG 6.5 I am about to sell, I swapped it into my 94 Chevy truck but the transmission has gone out on the truck. Engine runs 100%, and you can hear it run now.

Same engine I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I had it in the classified here lower than Teds, and I thought I had it sold locally so I let that expire but the guy here has flaked out on me so it is back on the market. Heck, I would sell the whole truck minus the turbo parts and injection pump for $1200, so that is $400 less and you can scrap or part out the rest, or the truck complete for $1800.

Only issue with the engine is an oil leak up front- likely the crank pulley seal, that will be easy to fix when you have it out.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

chief, I never checked the classifieds here yet! Are you closer to Flint, MI than to Ted's?

I am also leaning toward a much cheaper 6.2 which should work just as well.

I will PM you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
old thread but I am dealing with a sick 6.5.
This is the engine I have in my 1998 K3500.... this IS a AMG Navistar block. View attachment 589663
Did you or GM put that engine in your truck? The engine rebuilder article would lead you to believe that AM General was supplying the 6.5 to GM from 99 onwards.

The Quote from the AMG GEP website below says they started mfg in 2000:

General Engine Products (GEP) produces the OPTIMIZER 6500 V-8 diesel engine at its 92,000-sq.-ft. Franklin, Ohio assembly plant. This engine can be found in new HMMWVs, HUMMER® H1s, as a service replacement engine for numerous vehicles and in marine applications.
The new, modern engine facility went into operation in July 2000. The 6.5-liter engine had been built for many years by General Motors at their Moraine Engine Plant. With GM's technical support, AM General developed the new facility and made numerous improvements to this already reliable power plant.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
It is a replacement engine, from the looks of things it was not a dealership install. Many heat shields and other things were NOT re installed correctly.
I do not know the history of the truck, just what I am finding out along the way.
The truck had 220K miles as of February of this year (car fax) and after that someone tried to turn the miles back and broke everything in the dash.
The truck was a total basket case and after about $3500 she is getting back in to shape.
The navistar engine is a good sign that she might live a while longer. The 97 and down blocks were kinda trashed after 200Kmiles.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Westy. Looking at the mighty 6.5 TD in my new 2000 3500, the valve cover is embossed GM, which leads me to believe that all Chevy/GMC vehicles always had Moraine engines.

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
99 and even early 2000 H1's had cracking issues...I've replaced 3 in my shop is about a year.
Im told AMG used up what they,had in stock till exhausted....my 98 got a new engine in 99, it's a GM block.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks