• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on Michelin XL's (SIDEWALL WAVY)

Massm35a2

A wile ago I got 10 1100x20 XL's on ebay from Memphis Equipment.

I just mounted the 2 front ones this weekend and Kaiser2help ran them to a friend that has a cage and works on truck tires to air them up.

He aired them and it seated fine but, He did not like the way the tire sidewalls looked. There is a wave look all the way around the sidewalls and he said that he would not trust them. He took the air back out.

He said it could be sidewall seperation. I will try to go by and take a pic tonight as my truck is sitting on blocks over Kaisers house :-(

I think all the tires have this wave. Is this normal? Do you think there is really a problem with the tires.

I am soo upset :-( lots of money tied up in these tires and my NDT's are in real bad shape

Monty

My 16x20 are the same way, all four of them looked wavy and it got worse when i aired them up to normal operating psi. I have a bobbed 5ton and i didn't need to run them that high so I brought the air presure back down to 75psi.

What presure did he run them up to? If i remenber correctly the first time I rode in a 900 series in the Army I noticed the tires had a wave around them.

If it was me I'd run them but lets see what others have to say.

Chad.

Barrman

My Michelin XZL's on the M715 have the wave to them as well. Almost 15000 miles now with no issues. They are just massive radials with a flexible sidewall.

emr

yea that is standard with the wide gaps in the tread pattern of the michelins of all sizes, The spacing between the Tread nubs on the edges are so darn far appart, it is the way they are and AOK.... :-D

Massm35a2

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. What do you think I should run for a PSI? The same tire guy said 100 because anything less would spin the tires on the rims.

I ran 70 on my 1100x20 NDT's I was thinking 75psi

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was explained to me a long time ago by a guy in the tire biz, that when they make the tires, the steel belts that run across the tread from side wall to side wall, have a certain amount of flex in them. When they run out of belting in the machine or have problems with the belting they splice a new belt to the previous one and keep going. This splice creates a belt that has just a little less flex than the others in the tire and thus creates a tight spot in the sidewall and makes it look wavy as you are talking. I've run 10 ply tired on my 3/4 ton ram with the same wavy pattern and had waaaayyy too much weight in the bed of the truck (3 tons to be exact) and the tires didn't care a bit. I hope this eases your mind some.

Wolf.Dose

Michelin XL's look like that like explained before. However, they are the only tires known that run on soft sand as low as 7 PSI or one bar or even a little less to incresase the carrying surface. To my knowledge nothing bad will happen to these tires with showing the waving sidewalls.
For good handeling I recommend to ballance the tires after mounting them to the wheels. It gives a much smouther ride with much less vibrations.
Wolf from Germany

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michelin XL's look like that like explained before. However, they are the only tires known that run on soft sand as low as 7 PSI or one bar or even a little less to incresase the carrying surface. To my knowledge nothing bad will happen to these tires with showing the waving sidewalls.
For good handeling I recommend to ballance the tires after mounting them to the wheels. It gives a much smouther ride with much less vibrations.
Wolf from Germany
One bar is about 15 psi.
M656/xm757 series TM calls for 10 psi for mud, sand or snow...(bias ply 16/70-20 tubeless NDCC tires).

ctmustang

wavvvvvvvvvvyyyyyyyyyyyyy sidewall means absolutely nothing as far as safety is concerned. been in the tire industry for 23 yrs. and have seen this from time tire is new until it's wore out with no problem. If you don't feel safe running them pm me and I'll take them off your hands. LOL

kaiser2help

Well I must say . I am impressed with all the replies and concern. This is why I am involved with this whole entire S.S. and MVP deal. You guys are the real deal, as the same real U.S.A Iron as are vehicles were made from. Thanks for the help and concern. Send more pics if anyone has some. Kaiser.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did he just not like the look or did he smell them too? How about taste? If they are wavy and smell and taste like big ole tires - THATS BAD. Way bad. So bad you need them gone NOW. I am a self proclaimed XL tire expert as of 45 seconds ago and I can tell you that you need to send them to me ASAP. Normally I would charge some big disposal fee and all that, but since youre SS and all, I'll take them as long as you pay shipping. PM me for an addy.

Seriously though - you should see the tires on a aircraft carriers crash crane. They make XLs look like roller blade wheels and are wavy enough to surf on. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

tm america

ya they all do that . nothing wrong with them almost all tires have sidewall defects.if you have them mounted on narrow rims it will make it look worse

emr

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. What do you think I should run for a PSI? The same tire guy said 100 because anything less would spin the tires on the rims.

I ran 70 on my 1100x20 NDT's I was thinking 75psi
You need a NEW TIRE GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!holy smokes, 100 like it says on the tire is for a MAX LOAD !!!!!!!!!! yeesh, He is a bone head, sorry but he just does not know and thinks he does, and that is just scary. start at 50 and adjust to your driving conditions.I run 50 in the deuce with the xls, but have not really thought about it yet, im spending my time understanding my 1400s on the 900, in them i am starting at 60 all the way around, now a few weeks later at 65, and will see when i feel a difference, I personally belive the rears simply because of more tires need LESS air than the fronts, watch tire wear in the fronts from under OR over inflation, it is ALL a learning experience and part of the hobby, ALL the BEST!!! Good thing U asked, !!!!!!!!...Randy

emr

ya they all do that . nothing wrong with them almost all tires have sidewall defects.if you have them mounted on narrow rims it will make it look worse

It is NOT a tire defect...It is simply the width of the tread pattern that makes the side walls follow the shape of the tread, Nothing at all wrong with them, they are an OFF ROAD tire primarily. and the rims are just PERFECT for an 1100 also, they will take a 1200 leagally and safly....1200 probably stamped right on some of your rims, many are......and these tires are awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks