• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick introduction and questions on Headgasket.

TurboTim

Sorry for the short introduction but I just picked up a 93 M35 today. I got it for $3k with a bad headgasket and am tearing it apart today. We did get it running and the motor sounded good and we cut the filter open and saw no shavings or metal. Strained the oil and didnt see any metalic or anything. I got the fender and radiator and am tearing the motor down now but the problem I am just wondering now is there is a rod that goes from the injection pump to the camshaft area and I dont know how to remove this rod from the head. Does the injection pump have to come off? Super excited to have this running soon though and join the club. Everything went smooth today just got to get this peice off so I can lift the head off. Thanks for the help anyone.

welldigger

I would assume this is an a3 with the cat engine? Only because of the year I assume this. Also use the search. That's what its there for.

TurboTim

Really just wanted to introduce myself. Head is off. Started at 9pm. Me and one of my mechanics worked on it and done by midnight. 2 back cylinders blown, Looks like an easy fix. Should be running tomorrow as long as parts are available. Needless to say I am very happy. Oh and this is the first deisel motor either of us have ripped apart. I own an auto shop so we have equipment but just never does this stuff. Was a very good day! Oh it is a A3

welldigger

I am not familiar at all with the 3116 cat motors so I can't offer much help there. I also didn't mean to come off as rude but you didn't give any detail as to what truck you have. M35 doesn't tell us much. There are several variations of the truck with different engines and trannys. Also I suggest giving the search function a try next time. You can usually find what you are looking for much faster than waiting for an answer.

All of that aside welcome to SS and good luck with your engine rebuild. Would love to see some pictures of your new toy

TurboTim

I was a little worried but the $3k purchase price made it hard for me to pass up. Are headgaskets common on these? Does anyone know what book time would be for a headgasket? Is there anything I should be concerned with or be doing when I am in there? Dumb question but do all A3's have cats and allisons?

welldigger

O and 3k for an a3. If the head gasket is the only major problem you got a pretty good deal on that truck. Assuming good condition or even decent condition.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. No, not all A3s have the cat/allison. Post up some pics, not many on the site have worked on these motors, it would be good to see some pics!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its more about the model numbers. I had a M109a3 that was a multi. The box trucks with the cat motors are designated m109a4. Kinda a technicality.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
First welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy......the more lunatics the merrier.

The M35A3 (with the CAT/Allison setup) was a stopgap measure to upgrade the fleet before the wartime funding floodgates opened and the military industrial complex had a field day with the taxpayers money.

The concept was not a bad one in theory but in practice it turned into a boondoggle of epic proportion...for what it cost to rebuild and maintain spares for these vehicles they could have bought brand new civy vehicles and militarized them.

They were designed by an idiot after consultining with a focus group of morons.

Any engine painted yellow is going to cost you money when it breaks or needs parts...that is not to say CAT's aren't good engines...they are....they just ain't cheap to keep. And it's my understanding that this particular engine has it own set of issues as far as reliablity and service life.

I have only driven one A3 and I was underwhelmed by the performance.......if I own another deuce it will be a multi. A3's are butt ugly and slow.

Since you got it for a good price (the first A3 that I remember selling off GL sold for north of 12 grand) you have to run what you brung.

Good luck with her and keep us posted.

TurboTim

Well I am going to get it running for around $250 so I am not going to complain about the price to repair yet but I guess we will see as time comes. If this motor does it expensive I do really want to put in a 24v cummins. Anyone done any swaps like that?

Here is some pics of it on the trailer. I was reading the trailer do's and dont's. Well here is what I did and it worked okay. Its a 1 ton powerstroke. The trailer tires where getting warm even in the 9 degree day but we only had to go 25 miles and we never went above 45mph.
Duece towing.jpg