• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Request- pictures of stenciled marks

Chief_919

I recently aquired a few stencil cutting machines, and am looking for pictures of some of the "non-standard" stencils found in vehicles. I know how the bumper numbers, tire pressure, and the other "normal" stencils are done.

I am looking for pictures of the hood markings inside, no smoking, max speed, warnings, or any other marking stenciled in the smaller 1", 3/4" or 1/2" letters. If you don't have a picture, just tell me what it was, where, and whats size how many lines.

Hopefully I can start cutting some stencils for folks soon! Maybe I can bring the cutters down to the GA rally.

Mike_L

M37 Defroster Duct

Chief,

Here is a photo of my M37 defroster duct from when I first got it and before I refurbished it. These markings read, left phrase: "-WARNING- MAKE SURE DEFROSTER IS IN OFF POSITION BEFORE STARTING HEATER" in 1/2" letters; right phrase: "MAX. SPEED 35" in 1" letters; bottom phrase: "TP-40" in 1" letters.

These were likely unit applied as I don't recall seeing anything in the TB for the heater installation requiring them to be stenciled so.

Attachments

Chief_919

Chief,

Here is a photo of my M37 defroster duct from when I first got it and before I refurbished it. These markings read, left phrase: "-WARNING- MAKE SURE DEFROSTER IS IN OFF POSITION BEFORE STARTING HEATER" in 1/2" letters; right phrase: "MAX. SPEED 35" in 1" letters; bottom phrase: "TP-40" in 1" letters.

These were likely unit applied as I don't recall seeing anything in the TB for the heater installation requiring them to be stenciled so.

Nice shot, thanks!

I just got my 1/2" stencil machine up and running smooth, I will make a few like that.

dc3coyote

Nice, I would like to get my hands on one of them. We had one at my last unit and took the time to stencil EVERYTHING. we made them to spray on vehicles if the had pests in them like "SPIDERS" And we steciled "this side down" on the bottoms of all of your ground equipment.

Aswayze

We've got a 1 inch machine that's absurdly heavy and then a 1/4 inch machine that is about 15 steps past absurd on the weight scale. It has a crazy giant electric motor on the back of it that drives a flywheel and whirrs up to RPM before you hit the trigger to have it cut. I am pretty sure that beast would smash stencils through 5/8 in steel plate, it is REALLY violent. I am not sure why it's electric at all, all that BS just makes it MUCH harder to use than a manual machine.

Anyhow, I attached a few pics, the smaller sized stuff is nice for instructional text plus also for compound stencils such at the Signal Corps stencil you see in the pics. You DO want to use ink instead of paint, it works ever so much better.

Attachments

Chief_919

Thanks guys- these are great!

It is all the variations like this that make the "100% original" restoration guys heads spin. And I love it- 18 years working on green stuff for the Army has shown me that there is no marking that is 100% the same all the time on any vehicle.