• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reworking Deuce spring seat into an air ride seat.

cphillips

I would say keep the shock too. I robbed parts from a commercial seat and did this same mod to my M275 seat, no shock and it bounced back way too hard. For safeties sake or if you plan on doing any offloading I'd recommend the shock for sure.

I made this modification thanks to your fantastic idea and post. It worked great and was easy to do, the only recommendation I would have is to keep the shock absorber or else you will get launced on a rebound after hitting a bump!
I agree about the shock offroad but i am a big fat guy so it doesn't bounce too much! The total was under a 100 bucks.

skinnyR1

How was it decided on that particular air bag, p/n 329666-01? There are a ton of air bags on ebay available, but that one in particular seems to be elusive. There are similar sized air bags, but not that one specifically other than someone selling used ones over priced.

What do the dimensions need to be? Is this bag sized on the top or bottom specifically what is needed? Any insight is appreciated, as I am looking to line something up shortly.

peashooter

Good question, I'm not sure why they are hard to find all of a sudden. Below is a pic of the dimensions for this airbag from the firestone site. I'm sure this is just one of many airsprings/airbags that will work. I hooked up a gauge to see what pressure I was using to be comfortable and it was under 20psi, so I'm sure that you could go with a different diameter airbag.
It also has a few other part numbers you could check: http://www.firestoneip.com/product-cross-reference?partnumber=329666-01
Terex Advance: 12268
National Seating: SK1277, 329666-01, W02-N19-7084
Also Crosses to National:: 324663-01, W02-N19-7059
Also Crosses to National:: 328035-01, W02-N19-7069

You can try to find something that is close here: http://www.firestoneip.com/-/media/www/fsip/files/CommTruckTrailer/Aftermarket/Aftcat_smweb.pdf

Attachments

skinnyR1

Good question, I'm not sure why they are hard to find all of a sudden. Below is a pic of the dimensions for this airbag from the firestone site. I'm sure this is just one of many airsprings/airbags that will work. I hooked up a gauge to see what pressure I was using to be comfortable and it was under 20psi, so I'm sure that you could go with a different diameter airbag.
It also has a few other part numbers you could check: http://www.firestoneip.com/product-cross-reference?partnumber=329666-01
Terex Advance: 12268
National Seating: SK1277, 329666-01, W02-N19-7084
Also Crosses to National:: 324663-01, W02-N19-7059
Also Crosses to National:: 328035-01, W02-N19-7069

You can try to find something that is close here: http://www.firestoneip.com/-/media/www/fsip/files/CommTruckTrailer/Aftermarket/Aftcat_smweb.pdf
It looks like W02-358-7059 would be the Firestone cross reference bag. That one is also unavailable.

The closest one I can find, at a good price, is W02-358-7083. Here are the specs;

http://images.monstermarketplace.co...ured-by-firestone-part-w023587083-800x391.jpg

In your opinion, would that bag work ok? It is a slightly longer bag.

Another Ahab

It looks like W02-358-7059 would be the Firestone cross reference bag. That one is also unavailable.

The closest one I can find, at a good price, is W02-358-7083. Here are the specs;

Didn't see it priced in the Specs:

- These things run what, $200-$300?

peashooter

http://images.monstermarketplace.co...ured-by-firestone-part-w023587083-800x391.jpg

I think it would work. It would just get mounted upside down compared to the other one... meaning the air fitting will need to be on top regardless of which bag you use. This one may work even better since you might be able to slip the "2.11" diameter end right into the hole on the bottom of the seat base without needing to make any adapter.

peashooter

I forgot I had my springer seat base in my garage since I'm slowly working on some stuff for it over the winter. Anyway, I took some pictures of the dimensions that you would need to know for the air bag. Looks like you want one that can extend at least 11" and it needs to mount somehow to a hole in the base of the seat roughly 2.3" diameter, and a hole in the top of the springer seat 2.3-2.4" diameter. I made a couple aluminum pucks that made my air bag work with the holes in the seat.
I think the airbag you found will work well, you just would need to make 1 adapter for the top.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Looks like you want one that can extend at least 11" and it needs to mount somehow to a hole in the base of the seat roughly 2.3" diameter, and a hole in the top of the springer seat 2.3-2.4" diameter. I made a couple aluminum pucks that made my air bag work with the holes in the seat.
[/QUOTE]

How'd you fabricate these:

- Plate stock cut to diameter?

- Bar stock cut to a wafer?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks