• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Flats on a3 wheels?

goodguyzy

I have not determined if they will work. Im pulling them off MRAP wheels. Im guessing they weigh 150# each and im not sure if I want that much extra weight. Also do they screw up balancing? I plan on adding 20oz. of antifreeze.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the mrap rims and tires come balanced as an assembly. I would think hard before I broke them down. It might be better to just pick up some rim adapter plates from one of the vendors.

welldigger

If they are 9 inches wide then no problem. If they are narrower than that they can cause serious balance issues. This is because they can shift on the wheel. They could also damage the valve stem and damage the inside of the tire by spinning on the wheel from inertia since the 2 beads aren't clamping it in place.

JimmyThompson

I'm certain they are the Hutchison run flats as I saw them inside the tires prior to installation. I simply wasn't aware they width was different. Based on the cost of MRAP rims, adaptor plates, bolts, etc... it was more cost effective to get the A3 rims for $200 each.

welldigger

$200 each for a3 wheels is a steal. Unless you just desperately want the run flats I'd stick with the a3 wheels. Much simpler to deal with. And you already have them.

skinnyR1

I went with the beadlocks over the runflats for my a3 wheels. Just from a service stand point.
But with that said, I really dont think that the one inch difference will be the make or break for use on the a3 wheel vs the mrap. Remember, everyone used to say that you couldnt use the 395s on the a3 wheels because of the rim type and the width. But they work just fine.

welldigger

I don't know if it would "need" to be 2 separate 1/2" pieces but it certainly would be a better approach in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks