• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sad accident and taking people along in the deuce

Michael

It appears from the translation that the truck suddenly pulled to the left when they crested the hill and the woman driver didn't have the straight to pull it back. I really haven't found the M35 to be any harder to steer than any other non power steering vehicle. My real question, is it common for the M35 to suddenly take a mind of its own that takes superhuman straight to overcome or are we just going to write this off to driver error?

While I haven't had my M35 off road much, I have a manual steer CJ5 with over-sized tires and a V8 that I consider harder to steer. I have had it off road a good deal in years past.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately the passengers, the driver and instructor for that matter, were all at the mercy of whatever formula for failure was in place that day. Will the exact dynamics of that incident ever play out precisely the same again in the future? Unlikely. But, then at the same time, (especially here in the U.S.), we attempt to legislate EVERY possible unsafe situation. Let's hope that the attention to this never causes anyone to start legislation stating, "Military surplus vehicles in the public's hands are unsafe!" Isn't that part of the reason military jeeps (MUTTS especially) were regulated? I don't know, but I think there was/is a connection. Look at children's toys now-a-days! Knee jerk reactions to isolated tragedy occurs quite often. I am as mindful as I can be to safety. We can all sit and reflect on one or more times in our lives when we had a REALLY close call. When I do, I shutter. Just gotta keep gittin' smarter! Each time! Stay safe gang! This thing we all do is just too dag-gone much fun!

Swede

You all have said it well. Doesnt matter how many people were on board,the vehicle went through many trials through war. But, with any non-common sense bareing person mistakes will happen. These vehicles were tested very well, but the lack of abilities of drivers can not be forseen. Sorry to the lives that were hurt, and taken, but stupidity should be painful. There are people that I have complete confidence in, and there are people I wouldnt walk on the sideswalk near. Sorry I'm venting. I have taken many of rides on "off-road" vehicles, in or around it. But, if the skill of the driver starts to show lack of that skill needed, I would be the first to point it out, or yank him out. Last resort bail out!!!!

shadow

When I read the story the first thing that popped into my mind was, why was a new driver letting the teacher stand outside AND having people in the back? If I was the student, I would have stayed on the flat ground if I had to have people riding with me. I would never had even tried to go up a hill with other people on board. They can call me chicken or whatever but i wouldn't have done it.

I don't have much off road experience but I learned the 1st time I was with some other so called experienced people to never trust what someone tells you. I had just gotten another mid 1970's chevy 4x4 and was on a small trail, probably meant for an atv judging by its size, and it was getting dark so the other driver said I could go to the right about 30 feet or so and up a small 20 foot 45deg incline up to the road. There was tall waist high grass and weeds and I was not really wanting to go through them without walking it first but the guy said it was clear and don't be a baby and go for it. I started picking up speed heading for the incline when all of the sudden I went down and was going head on towards a huge drain tube almost the size of my truck. I was able to whip the wheel and miss the tube but nicked the concrete base side which almost popped my tire and came to a stop half way up the incline and the truck cut out. Because of low fuel I couldn't get it started. We had to walk a few mile up the road to a bar and got another 4x4 to pull me up and out. Ever sense then I never trust what anybody tells me without checking it myself. So if in the case of the german driver, she should have said she would wait until the truck was empty before trying a big hill in a truck she was not used to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks