• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safe towing limit

MJones

Will an M35 with the pintle........safely pull a trailered M113A2 APC? I see what appear to be crazy low limits on the Duece pintle, but I've heard it can be done.

You guy's are the experts, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 5-ton would be much better. Like the others said, short distances, on a trailer with GOOD air brakes, sure. Down the highway with normal traffic, NO.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far and how often? Your talking about a 12.5 ton vehicle plus the weight of a suitable trailer. So you need to tow about 16 tons(32000 lbs). I doubt your registered for such weight and or have the appropriate licence. It would do it for a short and slow(20mph or less) trip, but it would not be safe.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bottleworks said:
doghead said:
I doubt your registered for such weight and or have the appropriate licence.
You know this person's DMV information and licensing? :roll:
Nope, it's an assumption based on the question asked. I figured that if he had a CDL and or has his Deuce registered for more than it was rated for, he would already know the answer to his question.

fwiw, I found that the actual pintle hitch used on a deuce is rated at 50000 lbs towed load and 10000 vertical load.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd do it for a short distance or in a jam, but if I were going to do it regularly, I'd buy a 5 ton.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled some crazy heavy loads with my deuce before but you've got to know what you're doing. As Doghead said, the hitch will hold just about anything you want to hook to it but the main problem is stoping it (a deuce does good just to stop itself). It's going to be slow going too if you go up any kind of grade.

bonshawman

General question I often see on Dodge & Chevy websites (duallys) "how much can I tow" ?
All the time. Many trucks can exceed their "ratings", and at some point safety becomes an issue with load weight/transfer weight/pin weight, etc.

Same answer here and there - it is how much you can STOP. That is a most important safety issue.

That is why I have a pac exhaust brake on the Cummins in my Dodge, and why I do any heavy towing with my Freightliner, as she has really big brakes (full air) and an exhaust brake.

MY Deuce stops fine with her brakes - but add a trailer w/much weight for any "distance" and safety becomes an issue. I tow a 44' enclosed gooseneck, a 45' open deck equipment hauler, same in a 25' version - with either my Dodge 3500 or the FL70, and STOPPING has always been my chief concern.