• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sarge seeks M35A2 radiator

Sarge

I need a deuce radiator. I just blew my fourth take-out. I do put some miles on my deuce, but not excessive. I think that perhaps one reason I go through so many radiators is because the take-outs are mostly 30 to 40 years old. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? I understand that I may have to take out a mortgage to buy it, but hell, I’m getting fed up swapping them. I’m not overheating them, they always run at 180 to 200 degrees. Next week I am driving from Texas to Utah, if anyone knows of a good radiator along that route, I’m listening. I have researched the subject, there is even a decent one on E-bay in Ohio right now. But Ohio is over a thousand miles off route. Both coasts are too far to drive and shipping costs are horrific.
Bottom line;
I think that someone on this list has a better idea than me as to where a good one is.
Thanks!!!
-Sarge

m35a2cowner

Radiator

You might take it to your local truck radiator shop and have one recored. Might be cheaper than new. I have had a few done for cars and most of the time its cheaper and 1-3 days turnaround time. If the seams are actually blowing out, probably cheap insurance as well, replace the radiator cap (check for proper relief pressure). Maybe also check for blown head gasket.

Sarge

George at White Owl Parts saves the day!

Well, it was getting down to nut-cutting time. I've needed a new radiator for several weeks, but next weekend is our local school Veteran's Day appreciation display. A couple of thousand kids are brought through our display and given talks about the military, what we do and why we do it. The display is the high point of the year for a lot of these children, they especially love that the entire huge display is under camo netting. I said earlier that I wanted a brand new radiator, no more take-outs.
I got in touch with George Kivett at White Owl Parts in NC. (gkivett@whiteowl.com)
I don't normally comment when I buy parts from a dealer, because, heck, they are just doing their job, right? Not this time.
George was both friendly and helpful. Being knowledgeable in the MV field was also a plus. He did not once BS me, he just told me the facts and recommended the best and safest shipping method. The radiator was brand new, US manufacture and cost about double the cost of a take-out. That is a pretty good deal. He boxed and palletized the radiator and shipped it late Monday evening. I received it Wednesday morning in perfect condition. That does not sound too amazing, but it was shipped from North Carolina to central Texas! I'm not sure I can drive my car that fast! Thanks also to SouthEastern Freight Lines for the transportation. George chose SE Freight Lines because they were the same price as UPS, but faster and the radiator sustained none of the typical UPS damage. This was because of George's prior experience shipping both UPS and SEFL.
One thing extremely important to me personally is communication. I don't like it when someone takes your money and the goods just show up in a few weeks with no notification about arrival, receipt of money, etc. George kept me notified every step of the way, e-mailing me the receipt, the shipping information, everything. Wednesday evening he even sent me an e-mail asking if the radiator had been received in good condition. My hat is off to George and White Owl Parts, this is the kind of service that is sadly no longer common.
I will most definitely buy from them again.
THANK YOU GEORGE!
-Sarge

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: George at White Owl Parts saves the day!

i have a new us made radiator and the top tank has blown open twice because it is a poorly made piece of junk. the top tank is supposed to have a groove for the lower piece to slide in so that the solder will hold. instead it is just a overlap seam. you can tell from looking at it that it will not hold up. we put 9 small steel pop rivets across the front and back to hold it togeather and it is working well so far.

jeli

I knew I should have bought that one locally for $150 back in August.

You guys may want to try Erickson's Truck parts in Jackson, MN. They have a bunch on M35's. I've never had the chance to stop in but I did call for a radiator in June. At the time the guy quoted me $250 and he mentioned something about testing it first. Not sure if they ship.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
George and crew are great to deal with. He's a member here too but doesn't post too much.

spicergear

If anyone in or around PA has one and needs one...take it to Middletown Radiator in Middletown PA. They did mine before I put the CAT in. He's an older gent that's been doing them forever. Told me all the nuts and bolts of the design, why they fail, and did a great job at a really great price. I will not take a radiator anywhere else from here on out-

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: George at White Owl Parts saves the day!

m-35tom said:
i have a new us made radiator and the top tank has blown open twice because it is a poorly made piece of junk. the top tank is supposed to have a groove for the lower piece to slide in so that the solder will hold. instead it is just a overlap seam. you can tell from looking at it that it will not hold up. we put 9 small steel pop rivets across the front and back to hold it togeather and it is working well so far.
i have a similar problem with mine. i got it new for $395 and it leaks up top in the front. if i fill my truck full of coolant with a winter cover on it all i get is fogged out windows