• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sat 11/12/16 Downtown Orlando FL: Orlando Veterans Day Parade

Another Ahab

One of the people that RSVP'd for the parade cannot make it due to a commitment at work. That frees up a 25 foot long space in the lineup. If anyone is interested in joining us in the parade, please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
The line-up is based on linear footage?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty Common. the Fayetteville Parade is allocated on footage in a way. It's usually for staging and doesn't matter on the route. But they have to fit all the distances and space into the staging areas. For ours, as an example, most of the marching bands are actually staged on Bragg Blvd. which intersects with Hay St. which is the parade route. The Vehicles, for the most part, are staged on Hay St. but they are up a hill (harder for the bands to prep on an angled surface). This year, we were slated for a pickup with trailer, Jeep with trailer and 15 or so motorcycles. They gave us about 30 yards. IF we had something that couldn't fit in that space, technically it wouldn't stay. The issue that occurs is keeping the "emergency" lane free, through the center of the staging area.

Last year there was a HIMARS show up late, and had to navigate through the entire staging area on Hay St. to get to it's correct position (should have just come in on Bragg). Due to some "overflow" of the spaces, the navigation was very difficult.

Another Ahab

Pretty Common. the Fayetteville Parade is allocated on footage in a way. It's usually for staging and doesn't matter on the route. But they have to fit all the distances and space into the staging areas.
Thanks, bikeman. It's like school never ends.

I learn something new every day!

KIDS.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Submitting the entry for this parade takes A LOT of work. I must provide a paragraph describing what Steel Soldiers is and what we represent. I was required to provide details on each vehicle that is taking part of the parade. I had to list the vehicle make, model, the length and width of each vehicle, and a description of each vehicle. I estimated the total length of my entry without space between vehicles to be 310 feet. Adding three feet between each bumper stretched my entry to roughly 350 feet. I also sent representative pictures to the parade coordinator to give her a visual idea of what each vehicle looks like. A picture is worth a thousand words, especially to people that are not familiar with M series designations. The parade is televised live. Every second of the parade is accounted for. The more linear length of the parade, the more time must be allotted to the parade on CF News 13's broadcast.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have TWO openings in the parade lineup. Please let me know ASAP if you'd like to participate. Thank you.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand your PM now, Steve. I had two Deuces drop out of the Orlando Parade. That frees up 56 linear feet in our entry. There's plenty of room in our lineup for your A3 and trailer. :)

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, I received notification of another person that can't make it due to mechanical trouble. That frees up even more room in our lineup. I'll accept last minute RSVPs if you want to participate.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had nine vehicles in the lineup. :) I'm really thankful for everyone that participated.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Ahab! I used 3" and 6" paperboard star stencil templates to make stars out of white automotive sign material. I slap the 6" stars on the back doors and the 3" stars on the ridge of the hood at the parade lineup. The minor addition turns her into an Army Staff Car without damaging the lacquer paint. :)