• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Schwitzer Turbocharger

stancanpara

My 1964 M275A1 has what looks to be a rather large turbocharger on it... I've never seen one that looks like this on other Deuce and a halfs...

I'm looking for more information on this... Searches on SS has so far been rather fruitless...

Has anyone else had any experience with vehicles similarly equipted ?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is the turbo from the 427lds motor. They make good boost. I have one of every turbo but that one. I'd like to find one someday.

Also, looks like your missing a band clamp on your air tube to turbo.

stancanpara

Thanks gimpyrobb. So it's an "older" turbo on a 'newer' engine?
I had not seen one labeled like that so was afraid it might have been an aftermarket job...

My understanding is that the LDS-427 was the predecessor to the LD-465... is that right? So you say it's 'correct' for this truck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I recall correctly, EMR had an LDS 427 in the can a while back. Don't know if high scrap prices claimed it or not.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck (1964) would have been delivered with a LDS427 engine. I wonder why the data plate does not say M275A1, as the M275 is gas. Your data place says "multifuel", so it is the correct original data plate. Your truck is a rare survivor.

1958 M274

Notice that this truck still has the early A1 pipe and hose from the air cleaner to the turbo. Correct early 25 amp generator with a mechanical regulator too...

stancanpara

The best I can tell, I believe this truck came from DRMO in the 70s, was used for several years logging and then sat in the log yard as a log stop for 20 plus years where I found it and brought it home... They used and abused it but didn't do any work to it, so it's pretty much (configuration wise) as it came from the army....

It was shuffled out of the army before they started their computer data base... I know this because CARNAC had nothing on it.

Bill W

My 71 M-35A2 (C) had a Schwitzer on it as did a friend of mine have one on his also (D), I was told ( second hand ) they were stock on the D model LDT 465 engines, I just don't remember it looking that big

Last edited:

stancanpara

Notice that this truck still has the early A1 pipe and hose from the air cleaner to the turbo. Correct early 25 amp generator with a mechanical regulator too...
Here are a couple more picts... And something interesting to note, look at the Serial Number...:wink:

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan,
From a pure collector standpoint, it's a VERY GOOD thing. Esp the 'serial number' which indicates it's one of the first with the multifuel engines. They put the model number there because they had not made up new data plates for the new designation yet. A 'transitional' designator. A very good candidate for becoming a trailer queen for someone with deep pockets!

stancanpara

Stan,
From a pure collector standpoint, it's a VERY GOOD thing. Esp the 'serial number' which indicates it's one of the first with the multifuel engines. They put the model number there because they had not made up new data plates for the new designation yet. A 'transitional' designator. A very good candidate for becoming a trailer queen for someone with deep pockets!
Thanks. Very interesting... Know anyone with 'deep pockets' looking for one?;-) "I" just want a M275 A1 or A2, doesn't matter which... In the end, I just want a road tractor, no real need for one... I just want one... just because... 8)

It's been rode hard and put away wet...(Loggers are HARD and EVERYTHING) she's pretty rough but she RUNS very well! Also of note, the numbers on the frame match the data plate as well...

1958 M274

Since the turbo and all of the related parts are A1, but the engine is an early non-turbo A2, I bet when the engine was installed they used the A1 parts to add the turbo to the replacement 478 cubic inch engine.
Joe

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a recovery at Barstow for Bboomerbootcamp. His truck had that turbo. Seemed to run OK.

stancanpara

I think it's interesting that everyone seems to be talking about a whistler and non whistler, like there are ONLY those two, Model C and Model D out there:drool:..... and this is neither:confused:, and it 'looks' like it's about 3 times as large as the C or the D models... and it's NOT a whistler.

It still runs pretty well...

stb64

i never call those turbos C or D, as their correct designation is 3LJ319 for the whistler and 3LM39 for the non-whistler.
the LDS427-2 engine came from the factory with 2 different turbos, too: 4-450 for early engines, and 4D454 for late engines

stancanpara

i never call those turbos C or D, as their correct designation is 3LJ319 for the whistler and 3LM39 for the non-whistler.
the LDS427-2 engine came from the factory with 2 different turbos, too: 4-450 for early engines, and 4D454 for late engines
Thanks! That is most interesting! Do you know why they changed from the 4D454 to the 3LJ319? Was there a problem with the 4D454?:?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks