• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Screeching noise on startup, possibly flywheel

gvaneck

I got out the dentist after getting a cavity filled today and start my truck, right when I started it there was a horrible screeching noise. This has happened before but usually when I crank it again it doesn't do it. This time it did it again and again. Until finally it started up as normal. I decided it's time to get it fixed whatever it is. I have a feeling it is my flywheel but am not sure that's my best guess. Any help would be appreciated in solving this problem. :-|

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Could it be a alt or PS belt that needs to be tightened or replaced if it's old??

I have had the belts get loose and slide on the pullys a little, once tightened they are quiet. You'll hear a squeaking sound especially if it's revved a little at startup. That's my first thought....

Last edited:

gvaneck

That is also what I was thinking after first but I checked the belts and they are tight, something just tells me it is starter/flywheel related

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it do it after it has warmed up, and you restart it?

When did you replace your belts last?

davey8943

gvaneck,

Sounds like a flexplate (flywheel) to me.

I had an '87 chevy that did the exact thing you describe. It would screech once in about 5 starts. If I let it set for 30-45 seconds, it would start right up as normal. I finally gave up with the waiting, swapped the flexplate, and it fixed me right up.

You might be able to visually confirm by pulling the inspection plate (do the CUCV's have the "torque converter dust cover" ?) and rolling the engine around 360 to look for a missing / chipped / worn out tooth or teeth.

Let us know what you find! Good Luck!

Dave

EDIT:

Does it sound like this (third and fourth attempts at a start):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hp63nSx_TQ

This is a youtube video of a chipped tooth on the flywheel.....

Last edited:

gvaneck

doghead, yes it does this after it has been warmed up, I replace the belts less than a month ago.

davey, its done that once the rest of the times its happened it will start and make a screeching noise while its running

davey8943

gvaneck,

That makes me think your starting is engaging while the engine is running.... Maybe a relay is sticking? Could be something internal to the starter (bendix?)

I am sure someone has more experience will pipe up...

Good Luck!

Dave

gvaneck

davey, thanks for the help, I forgot to mention I looked under the truck and one of the bolts that holds the starter solenoid to the starter was missing so I put a bolt and nut on it for now but couldn't find the right size bolt anywere, I have done the doghead starter relay mod

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does this occasionally too, about once out of every ten starts. I figure that its missing teeth on the flywheel and it happens to land in that spot. Usually when I try again, it starts okay. Every once in a while it takes two tries to get it to start.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does this occasionally too, about once out of every ten starts. I figure that its missing teeth on the flywheel and it happens to land in that spot. Usually when I try again, it starts okay. Every once in a while it takes two tries to get it to start.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1008 did this when I got it. After inspection I found that the bolts were backing out of the torque converter to flexplate. I bought new converter bolts and replaced them along with a new flexplate. There was one less bolt in the flexplate housing than bolts required when I disassembled it. Since they could not fall out of the housing I figured last time it was worked on they left one torque converter bolt out.

gvaneck

Thanks for the help everyone, my truck does start when this happens and continues to make the noise, I will check it out after school today

gvaneck

I now believe it was a stuck starter... still not sure I was looking at it today and one of the bolts is missing that holds the starter solenoid to the starter so I did a temp fix for now, does anyone know the right bolt size I need for that? Thanks again for the help