• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine belt tensioner out of adjustment?

Autonomy_Lost

I looked in the TM's and googled the issue but couldnt find an answer.

My M1151a1 was received from govplanet with the alternator not fully bolted in. I'm trying to add the last bolt, but the problem is that I cant get enough slack out of the belt to move it into position. Is there some other adjustment point besides the belt tentioner to get more slack? Or do I just have the wrong size belt?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked in the TM's and googled the issue but couldnt find an answer.

My M1151a1 was received from govplanet with the alternator not fully bolted in. I'm trying to add the last bolt, but the problem is that I cant get enough slack out of the belt to move it into position. Is there some other adjustment point besides the belt tentioner to get more slack? Or do I just have the wrong size belt?
Take the belt off.

Autonomy_Lost

Then put it back on after securing the alternator.
I should clarify, I was able to pop the belt off one of the idler pulleys and create enough slack to secure the alternator. But now I can't get the belt back on, its as if its too short. The tentioner is completely maxed out.

I did some more googling, and it looks like there may be 2 variations of this belt in slightly different lengths, but I'm not sure. I sent an email to MAC Motors to see if they can help.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes a big difference how and what pulley you try to get the belt back on to, it is likely the correct belt.

Autonomy_Lost

On the hummer parts guy website they have 3 different belts, one says its for the 400 amp alternator and is slightly shorter. I wonder if thats what I have?

110.91 inches:

112.95 inches:

For red dot AC:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2" would be a HUGE difference in belts, it is tight, not for everyone ;)
It has a number yes???

Autonomy_Lost

Also my truck came from Yermo with a note on it that said "no belt," but it did come with a belt. I wonder if they just threw whatever they could find on there and unbolted the alternator to make it fit.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also my truck came from Yermo with a note on it that said "no belt," but it did come with a belt. I wonder if they just threw whatever they could find on there and unbolted the alternator to make it fit.
In this world anything is possible, it does have a number yes?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This belt came from Mac Motors. I bought it for a M1123 with numbers above 199,000 or whatever it is. Is this what you got? The belt in the background is cogged. The one I got from Mac was not B496671F-6E6A-4601-83C1-B78F8474D368.jpeg

Autonomy_Lost

I'll look for a number, that should have been the first thing I did. But yes its "cogged" with cross hatch looking pattern.

Currently trying to get multiple small children to sleep so I'll check tomorrow.

Autonomy_Lost

As you can see, even after bypassing an idler pulley its still tight as a banjo string. This is with the alternator fully bolted in, and the tensioner barely has any travel left.

I dont see any markings on the belt but I havent fully removed it to check the whole thing yet.

Attachments

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I checked the entire length of the belt and there are no markings. Picture of inside of belt attached.
I think you have the belt on wrong possibly. I think it goes underneath the 2nd pulley. You need to get it away from the radiator hoseB84CC99F-9D5A-4C15-9C8C-7AA55CB32D06.jpeg853A9317-3C69-45F3-809C-5E5D3F9DA4D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

I think you have the belt on wrong possibly. I think it goes underneath the 2nd pulley. You need to get it away from the radiator hoseView attachment 876592View attachment 876593
Yes its on wrong because its not long enough to go on right. It was underneath of that idler pulley before I had the alternator fully bolted in. Dont worry I'm not running the engine this way.

Last edited: