• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherwin Williams CARC 383 green Moisture Cure

Iansstud

I paid $109 for the 1 gal can of CARC type III 1 part moisture cure... I needed my mil contractor ID, and was asked what I was using it for (I told them it was classified, and the questions stopped) It says nothing about thinning on the spec sheet! The only primer it mentions is if shooting to bare metal. Nothing about shooting over paint.

I'm painting onto oem ford paint, I've removed the top coat (clearcoat) with 220 g via my DA sander I was careful to not go through the base into the primer, and anywhere I had a ding or dent got body filler/ icing or if there was any exposed metal, I shot some acid etch primer...

I've painted a few cars in the past but I was stumped with how thick this stuff is... And when I asked for the type I or II, I was told it was no longer being made. Type III replaces the old stuff... It's 50-60 solids and low VOC. I'm just not used to spraying soo thick!

flyxpl

I was qouted $70 a gal for type two waterborne and $120 for a gal of the hardener . I think it is two to one so hardener would do two gallons of paint . So you would have 3 gallons ready to spray ( more if you thinned it with the sugested water ) at $86 a gallong .

ODw/envy

Surface prep is going to be the key. Every MV I have seen/owned that was repainted by US is peeling badly. Most of the paint is flaking off on the road. The factory paint seems very stable though.

OD

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WATERBORNE CARD IS THE FUNK,BUT YOU MUST ADHERE
TO THE MIX RATIO!!! ALSO HUMIDITY MUST BE FACTORED
INTO THE EQUATION. I HAVEPAINTED A BOATLOAD OF THIS
COATING AND FOUND THAT A SEALER OVER OLD PAINT
GIVES THE BEST ADHESION WITHOUT PEELING OR RUST
PROBLEMS.........POPACOM/BILL IN KY.:mrgreen:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WATERBORNE CARD IS THE FUNK,BUT YOU MUST ADHERE
TO THE MIX RATIO!!! ALSO HUMIDITY MUST BE FACTORED
INTO THE EQUATION. I HAVEPAINTED A BOATLOAD OF THIS
COATING AND FOUND THAT A SEALER OVER OLD PAINT
GIVES THE BEST ADHESION WITHOUT PEELING OR RUST
PROBLEMS.........POPACOM/BILL IN KY.:mrgreen:

Iansstud

So there are 3 types

Type I -2 part base/ hardener (can use thinner)

Type II -waterborne (thins with water)

And the new type III -moisture cure (can't be thinned)

Has anyone used type 3? Alot of people posted about the older stuff, has anyone shot the type 3 thick stuff?

jaxsof

The appropriate manual is TB 43-0213 (too big to attach). I have to repaint a freshly restored truck. Seems the lacquer based stuff the paint shop used isnt sticking to anything related to CARC. The manual sais to strip to the meatl, seal, and prime. But you only have a limited time to do these steps. Enjoy

ranchhopper

Anyone have experience with the CARC tan? I want to paint my M925A2 with a shelter all the same color. How much will be needed for that and Sherwin Williams part #'s would be good too.
I just painted an 818 last monday I painted it desert tan used a gallon to get it done. I use type 1 CARC three parts paint to one part reducer I would get three gallons if you are doing the underside too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks