• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small -spin on- fuel filter change interval

Defcon-1

Hi all, very basic question. If I change, drain, and maintain the large first filter, how often do I need to change the little one? Seams like it could last for decades.
Good question, lots of variables to truly have a definitive answer, I guess it would vary on engine hours / mileage + rpm average, quality of fuel, if using fuel additives, etc. If you have the 8.3 (not sure if you have the NHC 250) I've read that the little filter can be 2 years / 22.5k miles, but some guys do it annual or at 1200 engine hours. I think the little filter is cheap enough to do it more often, but that's just me lol. Do you have the canister-syle filter for the main fuel filter or did you do a spin-on conversion? That's next on my to-do list actually, will be much easier of a filter-change with a spin-on, that way the little filter will see even less water / dirt if I do that one more frequently haha.

ericp351

Good question, lots of variables to truly have a definitive answer, I guess it would vary on engine hours / mileage + rpm average, quality of fuel, if using fuel additives, etc. If you have the 8.3 (not sure if you have the NHC 250) I've read that the little filter can be 2 years / 22.5k miles, but some guys do it annual or at 1200 engine hours. I think the little filter is cheap enough to do it more often, but that's just me lol.
I have the little 8.3. After servicing the large filter, I thought the little guy is getting a "free ride".

Defcon-1

I have the little 8.3. After servicing the large filter, I thought the little guy is getting a "free ride".
It probably is if the main fuel-filter is doing its job / is being serviced routinely and drained frequently. I wonder what the engineering perspective was for the little fuel filter 🤔

ericp351

It probably is if the main fuel-filter is doing its job / is being serviced routinely and drained frequently. I wonder what the engineering perspective was for the little fuel filter 🤔
My GUESS is that the little one was general spec by engine maker. Military may have said - "not good enough", and kept proven bigger.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8.3 started out with the little filter only, and they were clogging too easily so they retrofit the large canister filter in front of it.

Not all of the A2 trucks have both. Some have the little filter only.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks