• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So this just happened...

ke5eua

So took the caps off and the bearing look good for initial inspection, no fluid came out so that's a good sign. Pulled a bolt off the bottom and drained the water out and looks like the seals are good no fluid there.

Put the caps back on for the time being and well...I guess I'm stronger than I thought I was...

IMG_1008.jpg

Jeepsinker

For now don't worry about it. It is only one out of many. I had one do the same thing and it is still like that. When you have time drill the center out and use an easy out.

ke5eua

For now don't worry about it. It is only one out of many. I had one do the same thing and it is still like that. When you have time drill the center out and use an easy out.
Ok, cool. I was thinking about that. Sorta like the can't have no more the two studs broken non-consecutive order.

Ok, so, gonna get everything together and re pack this week, put a little blue locktite on the bolts when putting them back in and not get all rambo with them.

I was very pleased of how clean they were, not a lot of grease in there though. It looked like there was white lithium grease in the drivers side and typical black grease in the passenger.

I have my work cut out, but it will get done, 10/20 standards, well 10/15 now with the one bolt, lol

I miss this, getting my hands dirty, been years since I pulled a pack and dove into it. It's therapeutic.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might get lucky and have them in the barn / work shop at my gramps. Being a small farm we have some big boy tools for the tractor and attachments.
Eight-sided (8-point) is key. I also had a lot of big boy tools due to farm tractors but no 8-point. Did have access to large 6 and 12 point sockets/wrenches.

ke5eua

So, got the drivers side tackled. Pretty clean, no debris, that's a good sign. I just need to remove the two plugs place a zerk fitting in one and grease till it comes out the other side. I'm debating using the air grease gun or not, and while I'm under it, if it has a grease fitting, it's getting filled.

Tomorrow, passenger side, and I'll tackle the grease fittings probably friday, gotta go out to the farm unless I want to run the truck for air, my little pancake air compressor won't handle filling a tire.

While I was messing with the truck I went ahead and changed both sending units. The passenger side tank was a pita, had to separate the sections and put it back together once under the spare tire carrier. Just need to run a grounding wire to the passenger and it's done. The ones I pulled were extremely rusted. I also changed the screws to Allen head screws and I plane on doing the same for the feed plate when I change the seal.

Jeep, how's monday or tuesday looking? BTW, I'm good on chains, lol

Last edited:

emr

The NDT's were so full of air they were slicks, I may have missed someone else mentioning that, Sorry if I did, But if they were aired down to 15 or 20 lbs they would have cleaned them selves and very likely pulled thru that mud, Allot of guys don't know just how awesome those tires are when aired correctly, Just an fyi :) Nice job getting stuck :) All good we all do it :):):)

ke5eua

The NDT's were so full of air they were slicks, I may have missed someone else mentioning that, Sorry if I did, But if they were aired down to 15 or 20 lbs they would have cleaned them selves and very likely pulled thru that mud, Allot of guys don't know just how awesome those tires are when aired correctly, Just an fyi :) Nice job getting stuck :) All good we all do it :):):)
So far my count of mud vs me is 3 in 0

My dads old pickup, down to the frame in the back pasture
My old W150, to the door. Winched myself out but took two days due to rain. Again, back pasture.
This encounter, behind my house.

I think the gods of mud are telling me something, lol

ke5eua

So bought 15 tubes of red grease, got 2 left.

Holy crap do the knuckles take a lot.

Put 4 tubes in the passenger side and about 4 1/2 in the drivers. Took it for a spin and the boot on the passenger side decided it wanted to bulge out.

Got the water hose and trickled water under the boot and ran my finger and got the remaining bits of mud out and reseated the boot.

Will take it for another spin tomorrow to make sure everything is good.

Ended up using the hand grease gun as my air one decided it didn't want to work correctly.

Now I need to tackle the temp gauge, I think I have either a ground issue or a short as it is doing the funky chicken when driving.

Other than that she idles great, figured out the minor issue with what was thought to be the selector valve. Ended up being the vent tubes on the tanks, took out the little right angle pieces and no more issues.

Seems to handle a little better now that grease has entered all the required orifices.

Ready to take her on a cross country trip, just need to stock up on my pain meds first, lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks