• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so what is it

maritimer

ok so i am having startin gproblems
got it boiled down to either, IP or Fuel Filter or Lift pump

syptoms
truck starts but after 10 seconds it sputters and stalls out, then takes me cranking for 3 minutes in short 30 second spurts to even fire up then i have to hold the throttle on 1/4 for about 3 more minutes to stay running. once i get it running its fine unless i shut it off for more then 1 hour
it only does this after it has sat for at least an hour.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a leak on the suction side of the lift pump (between the tank and pump) or fuel is bleeding back to the tank. Starts on fuel that is already in the IP, then starves out. It's either drawing just a little air or taking a while for the fuel to move back to the IP. Suppose it could be a weak lift pump as well. Might have to do a pressure check on that. I swapped one of them along side the road one day for nothing, had a suction leak in the back.

Michael

Sounds like the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel filter base to me. Search for fuel pressure switch or sensor.

CCATLETT1984

FYI, the fuel pressure sensor if leaking should show as a wet area below the filter. The early style lift pumps had no check ball in them, later they were redesigned to include one. I would change the filter first, fill it full with diesel before installing to lessen the cranking that will be needed to purge the air. I would loosen the plug on the fuel line in the passenger fender well (on the outside of the frame) to see if you have fuel there, if you do than your issue is further up the fuel path, and I'd guess it would be the lift pump.

superburban

maritimer said:
ok so i am having startin gproblems
got it boiled down to either, IP or Fuel Filter or Lift pump

syptoms
truck starts but after 10 seconds it sputters and stalls out, then takes me cranking for 3 minutes in short 30 second spurts to even fire up then i have to hold the throttle on 1/4 for about 3 more minutes to stay running. once i get it running its fine unless i shut it off for more then 1 hour
it only does this after it has sat for at least an hour.
How did you rule out glow plug problems?

I agree, thought that is sounds like air in your lines caused by either a leak on the suctions side of the fuel pump, or a lousy lift pump.

maritimer

no glow plugs are all brand new replaced once the warm weather hit with wellman 070's and they werent cheap or easy to find, controller card was replaced a week after i got it and relay works perfectly i know its a fuel issue . seeing as how an IP is listed as $1,541.00 + $200 for core for a reman here localy i am praying it isnt that, and a filter is the same price as a lift pump $22 and $25 respectivly might as well r&r them both at the same time, i am hoping its one or the other as i really dont want to have to replace the IP. checked the rubbers al lthe way back and found no visable leaks/pinholes. will check the filter base in the AM. dont think its the filter base though cause once i get the engine running its fine essentily once the fuel gets bled it runs fne till it sits for a while then have to re-bleed basicly. will replace the lift and filter and prey i guess because its my d/d cant really have it go down for any length of time lol

maritimer

dang it well i checke the filer base ad it was dr, i ordered the nw lift pump and filtyer and when i went to start i fou ut about boken starter boltitis. had to order them *REPLMENT blts* fro the stealersip in a "shop pack" of 5 bolts at $1.75 a piece save on freight charges of $18 then being told i had to pre pay them before they could order them i had t owait around for a ride and missed the 4pm next day delivery cut off LOL whats next

maritimer

holy heck took me three days to find and fix the starting/running issues, and i found out why napa canada doesnt list there prices online cause there double the US prices $47.50 for the lift pump, after replacing it what a pain that was got her running for all of 25 minutes, so noticed a fuel leak on the inlet hose of the pump after looking at the line turns out someone doesnt like me.anyway replaced the hose and voila no problems except my batts are due for replacing

Braunchitis

The same thing happened to me! (Almost) After I got the new pump put back on, I sat back, and started cranking, confident that my truck would start once the new pump pulled fuel up from the tank and that I could then give myself a pat on the back. After about 2 seconds, something made a terrible noise, and when I crawled under my truck, I saw the starter housing had broke. It never ends...

Somemedic

I had replaced starter bolts about 5 times in the past year and a half. finally found the little support arm that holds some of the weight on the front and doesnt allow the rear to get torqued... havent had a problem for a little while... No wonder that thing was there! aua