• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top/ hard top question

rjinga

I've got an '85 M1009. If I get a Softopper or Skyler tonneau-style cover, can I still put my hard top back on. If so, how much hassle is there switching back and forth?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The skyler requires a few minutes to remove the bracket around the cab. They talk about in the FAQ on their website. Softtopper I have no idea.

rjinga

The skyler requires a few minutes to remove the bracket around the cab. They talk about in the FAQ on their website. Softtopper I have no idea.
Can you check into that and let me know? JUST KIDDING. Thanks for all the info Warthog.

custm86

The Softopper has rails with weatherstripping along the bed sides and adhesive for the weatherstripping where it attaches to the cab. I haven't put the hardtop back on yet but it looks like it would be a pain to switch back and forth.

Holitik

I take my hard top off every spring and put it back on in the fall with no problems for 7 years now. I did replace the inner, outer, and side seals when I first got it and I clean then "lubricate" with a thin coat of Vaseline when I reinstall. I had one back in '85 and an old mechanic named Shorty taught me the trick. Seems to work. Leaks will occur when you roughen or knick the seals. I store mine on 4 stacks of milk crates upright, off of the ground, with the crates supporting the interior ceiling of the top. You do not want to compress the seals.

Worst case, if you put it back on and it leaks, silicone cures all evils.

Sean CO

Yea, i've taken mine off and put it back on with no problems or damage to the seals even stored it outside, suspended like Holitik described, and i use armoral on the seals. Don't know about the soft topper, i know there's a style on ORD's website that says it neends no drilling.

I'd like to hear anything anyone knows about these softtoppers.