• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soviet Vehicle Starting

Coltman15

Hello all,

Dumb question but can you use a nitrogen bottle to start Soviet Air start diesel engines or does it have to be strictly regular compressed air?

Coltman15

I would imagine compressed air as the vehicle would have its own compressor and air bottle(s)
The reason I ask is my electric starter failed, so I cannot build air pressure and need that first start. High pressure Air compressor filling stations are not common but nitrogen is. Would I be ok to get the first start using a newly filled nitrogen bottle?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The reason I ask is my electric starter failed, so I cannot build air pressure and need that first start. High pressure Air compressor filling stations are not common but nitrogen is. Would I be ok to get the first start using a newly filled nitrogen bottle?
I would be concerned.
If you have a full tank of nitrogen - and no regulator - and you put 3000 pounds into a hundred pound air line you might have a really bad day.

Coltman15

I would be concerned.
If you have a full tank of nitrogen - and no regulator - and you put 3000 pounds into a hundred pound air line you might have a really bad day.
Pressure is not a problem. The vehicles run on high pressure systems, 2200 PSI. Nitrogen tank is filled to that. I’m more asking if the injection of nitrogen on the top of the cylinder head would evacuate all the oxygen, not allowing the right fuel air mixture.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pressure is not a problem. The vehicles run on high pressure systems, 2200 PSI. Nitrogen tank is filled to that. I’m more asking if the injection of nitrogen on the top of the cylinder head would evacuate all the oxygen, not allowing the right fuel air mixture.
My best guess is that it will turn over and in another turn or two, the nitrogen will leave through the exhaust - bringing your air/fuel mixture to more reasonable rates. Air is 78% Nitrogen, therefore if you accidentally mix pure nitrogen with air, nothing bad will happen.

Coltman15

find out where the fire brigade get there Breathing Apparatus sets re filled ? Why not start it using the batteries ?
Fire brigade scuba units have different valves and federal law does not allow tanks to be filled without the proper valve design for the type of gas being used. Breathable air, compressed air, nitrogen, O2, all have specific filling valves. The tank in the armor is a nitrogen tank/valve. And the electric starter is burn up, so the only alternative is air. At least until I can get a starter imported.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fire brigade scuba units have different valves and federal law does not allow tanks to be filled without the proper valve design for the type of gas being used. Breathable air, compressed air, nitrogen, O2, all have specific filling valves. The tank in the armor is a nitrogen tank/valve. And the electric starter is burn up, so the only alternative is air. At least until I can get a starter imported.
Okay! Well then, you mentioned "The tank in the armor is a nitrogen tank/valve." so I guess you should be able to fire that baby up! Even solves my question about over-charging the starter with several thousand pounds vs a hundred.

Any chance you could shoot us a picture or two?
Maybe even the bottle where the nitro is plugged in?

AND, it doesn't matter if it needs paint or not.
We would just love to see what you are working on...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks