• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Adapter Leaking Gear Oil

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So which part number was the Viton? I just cleaned my underside good so I need to see if this is my culprit. If so I'll order it. Do I need to drain the transfer case at when removing this? Or does it just come right out with no issue?

Thanks
The one that says "Viton" in the description, sorry it is buried in there and I could have made it more clear.

2: A possibly slightly better match that I did not find in my online search (8x14x5VTC Double Lip Viton Oil Seal - he said this was metal with a rubber center - I'm thinking similar to one onegmjack got from his transmission shop, see here on page 1)
Item Number: 04545182
$4.29 each
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=04545182
Also, yes, came right out with no issue. I still need to check the fluid level in my transfer case, but unless I understand things wrong, the adapter is located higher than the transfer case fill point.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, yes, came right out with no issue. I still need to check the fluid level in my transfer case, but unless I understand things wrong, the adapter is located higher than the transfer case fill point.
My understanding is that THIS (see image) is the transfer case fill point and the speedometer adapter is above said fluid level, when at rest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403229588.535900.jpg

Last edited:

bonedoc

Thanks for your reply, I just wanted to be sure about the part as there were many part numbers being tossed around in this thread. I appreciate the time and effort you put into finding the right seal and thank you for that. Also thanks as well about the answer for fill level. This is my first deuce and I'm learning it...and loving it. I figured it was as you've shown but wasn't positive. Thanks again

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Update: This post of mine here is all operator/mechanic error - take note of the picture as I reference it in my follow up post)

And it's still leaking, but appears to be leaking after the seal, coming out of the threads maybe. Maybe I don't have the seal in right, or failed on tightness, but at least it wasn't splattering everywhere as before.

I'll go pull it back off and have a look.

I wonder if the oil seal was so nice and snug on the shaft, if it was spinning with the shaft and thus the oil was getting around the outside? I could try the other oil seal too I suppose.

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me tell you what I did wrong so hopefully you can learn from my mistake.

I did indeed have the adapter tight into the transfer case, but I did not have the flat, or "keyed", part of the shaft properly lined up. So when it did line up (you can see where it had sat, via the shiny damage) the adapter was loose, and since it wasn't properly seated in the seal, it damaged the oil seal. (This is why I buy two when there is high shipping charges and a long lead time.) So I replaced the oil seal with my second Viton seal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403308115.163762.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403308398.614213.jpg

Reminder:
Remember to re-grease the adapter! I refilled mine before putting it on the truck, but you can do it after, or during re-installation. (Though have fun reaching the zerk if you wait until everything's back together...)

(The following worked for me)
To ensure you have the shaft key properly placed, I strongly suggest you put the key in first, and work it around until it is all the way in. You can see how far mine is in by the following picture:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403308173.553710.jpg

You then screw the whole adapter on, placing the shaft in its slot. It should seat itself in the oil seal as you screw the adapter on (I was able to feel this happen). You should then be able to freely spin the adapter all the way until the hex is against the transfer case. As you can see from my post above, mine is leaking and the hex is not all the way against the transfer case.

I went for a 30-40 minute drive, zero leaks of course. Really, this was pretty straightforward fix, but I made it hard on myself. As far as I'm concerned, I'm calling it fixed. ;)

Since I've never checked it, and I've been leaking transfer case oil, it seemed prudent to check the level.

2014-06-20 16.05.15.jpg

Still looks full to me! Though, given that I've leaked some, I don't know how the military filled it more than full, hah.

Last edited:

bonedoc

Dam, I think I speak for everyone here when I say thanks for an awesome discovery, research, repair, and write up. Awesome write up, thanks again. Glad to hear it was a successful endeavor.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I speak for everyone here when I say thanks for an awesome discovery, research, repair, and write up. Awesome write up, thanks again. Glad to hear it was a successful endeavor.
Thanks, but in my opinion, the vast majority of the thanks should go to gringeltaube, I wouldn't have even known where to look for the problem if it wasn't for him and his drawings and measurements saved be boat loads of time!

bonedoc

You are correct and my oversight. Thank you very much Gringeltaube!!

This is definitely something a lot of us benefit from and with the info you guys provided appears to a relatively easy quick fix for a persistent problem.

bonedoc

I know this is an old thread. Just ordered a few of these seals from Motion industries. They are less than 5 bucks a piece. I order 3 to be safe in case I make a mistake on installation, etc.

Does anyone know if thread sealant is to be used on the adapter when re-assembling it? Or does it just seal itself when tightened?

Thanks

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not put thread sealant on the adapter where it screws into the transfer case (nor was there any in the first place). I have not noticed any leaking in the past 1+ year (I presume because it's only taking splashed gear oil and is not submerged).

My "gut" guess is that thread sealant shouldn't hurt, but you want to have the adapter "key" fully engaged in the transfer case so you do not have the issue (and slight damage) that I posted about earlier. However, I would deem thread sealant as not necessary.

Last edited:

bonedoc

I did not put thread sealant on the adapter where it screws into the transfer case (nor was there any in the first place). I have not noticed any leaking in the past 1+ year (I presume because it's only taking splashed gear oil and is not submerged).

My "gut" guess is that thread sealant shouldn't wouldn't hurt, but you want to have the adapter "key" fully engaged in the transfer case so you do not have the issue (and slight damage) that I posted about earlier. However, I would deem thread sealant as not necessary.
Thank you very much for the tips. Saw that in your previous post and plan on installing mine the same way to prevent an issue. Like you said...an extra doesn't hurt...hopefully will never have to replace it again as none of us know the lifespan of those seals. Sounds as though yours is doing well.

Anything special to remove the adapter and replace the seal? Looks like you just remove the speedo cable and spin it out. then separate it once it is removed.

Thanks again

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also want to note that this year I drained and refilled my transfer case oil and continued to have no leaking issues.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much for the tips. Saw that in your previous post and plan on installing mine the same way to prevent an issue. Like you said...an extra doesn't hurt...hopefully will never have to replace it again as none of us know the lifespan of those seals. Sounds as though yours is doing well.

Anything special to remove the adapter and replace the seal? Looks like you just remove the speedo cable and spin it out. then separate it once it is removed.

Thanks again
You're welcome!
No special disassembly at all. Just exactly as you said here.

When you have the adapter separated from the transfer case, before adding the seal, I would recommend taking off the end of the adapter that connects to the speedometer cable and cleaning it out with, say, brake parts cleaner. You want to remove the old grease that has the gear oil mixed in with it. While still dissasbled, put your grease gun on the adapter and partly fill the worm gears with grease, reassemble, then finish filling with grease. Then reinstall on truck :)

Last edited:

bonedoc

You're welcome!
No special disassembly at all. Just exactly as you said here.

When you have the adapter separated from the transfer case, before adding the seal, I would recommend taking off the end of the adapter that connects to the speedometer cable and cleaning it out with, say, brake parts cleaner. You want to remove the old grease that has the gear oil mixed in with it. While still dissasbled, put your grease gun on the adapter and partly fill the worm gears with grease, reassemble, then finish filling with grease. Then reinstall on truck :)
Awesome!! Thanks for the heads up and tip. Will be doing this as soon as I receive my new seal.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The revival of this thread reminded me that I wanted to order another seal because I'm changing my stock 0.187 ratio speedometer adapter to the 0.200 ratio adapter (for 11.00R20 tires). Cross reference to this research post on my thread about the NSN and Part Numbers for various truck's speedometer adapters:

Post#29 on Page 3:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...20s-(dualed)&p=1766953&viewfull=1#post1766953

Now going back to what has been posted here previously:
The one that says "Viton" in the description, sorry it is buried in there and I could have made it more clear.

2: A possibly slightly better match that I did not find in my online search (8x14x5VTC Double Lip Viton Oil Seal - he said this was metal with a rubber center - I'm thinking similar to one onegmjack got from his transmission shop, see here on page 1)
Item Number: 04545182
$4.29 each
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=04545182

Sadly, Motion Industries' website does not appear to be built in such a way that links work at a later date (or they changed their website and/or catalog). So the above link to this (in my opinion) better of the 2 seals no longer works, nor does searching for the part number "04545182" return any results.

I even browsed manually to try and find it through the following
  1. Went to https://www.motionindustries.com
  2. Under "Products" on the left, selected "Seals, Gaskets, & Accessories"
  3. On the left (or picture view on the right), selected "Oil Seals"
  4. On the left under "Narrow Your Search By", under the subcategory "Type of Product", selected "Oil Seal - Metric"
The only results are three oil seals over 100 mm in diameter...

bonedoc, how did you order the same seal? Did you just call them or were you able to find it on their website? Or did you just convert the metric units to standard (though all the standard oil seals are still too big...)

8x14x5 (mm) -> 0.3149" x 0.5511" x 0.1968" ->(approximately) 5/16" x 9/16" x 3/16"

Internet search resulted in a slightly more expensive exact match:
8X14X5VTC, TCM Oil Seal, Single Lip, 8 mm ID X 14 mm OD X 5 mm Wide, Viton Material
$8.70
($25.00 minimum order)
http://mechaniseals.com/8x14x5vtc-t...-mm-id-x-14-mm-od-x-5-mm-wide-viton-material/

Last edited:

bonedoc

Valence,

I called them directly. By using their locations link, I called a local Motion industries office. Told them what I was looking for. He located it using the item number you had listed, # 04545182. He had to call their main warehouse to confirm it was in stock. He told me they had approx. 48 in stock, no minimum to order. So I ordered three to be safe.

I need to look into the changing the ratio, especially since I'll have it out. What are the benefits? I'm running 395s, I would think a different ratio would get my speedo closer. Where do you find the part?

Thanks

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence,

I called them directly. By using their locations link, I called a local Motion industries office. Told them what I was looking for. He located it using the item number you had listed, # 04545182. He had to call their main warehouse to confirm it was in stock. He told me they had approx. 48 in stock, no minimum to order. So I ordered three to be safe.

I need to look into the changing the ratio, especially since I'll have it out. What are the benefits? I'm running 395s, I would think a different ratio would get my speedo closer. Where do you find the part?

Thanks
Okay, call directly like last time. Thanks!

Changing the speedometer adapter will result in a closer speedometer reading and thus, more accurate mileage count on the speedometer. You can "do the math" to calculate the difference between your displayed speedometer reading versus your actual.

Various vendors have speedometer adapters. The 1:200 is hard to find. I only contacted 2 places and I was quoted:
$85.00 Big Mike's Motor Pool
~$100 Boyce Equipment

To keep this thread on topic I have avoided posting my more lengthy explanation.
I updated post 29 on page 3:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...20s-(dualed)&p=1766953&viewfull=1#post1766953

In short, by my calculations, a deuce running 395's should find that a 5-ton 1:222 speedometer is a perfect match with only about a 0.2% error (over) reading! (Note: I would love for someone with a GPS to verify this)

Warning: This assumes that 5-ton speedometers fit without issue in the deuce transfer case and on the deuce speedometer cable. I have no experience to speak on the matter whether or not they do as I've only taken other's word for it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks