• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SSGR14 Engine and Bed Swap

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who's changing an engine?

Perhaps the first(official)post could include the basics?

Is this a planned "event" for the rally?

Is this a training/demonstration?

Are spectators invited to help?

Is this just something a few guys have already planned?

Who's bringing the TMs? And who can read them?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy3's truck is dead and sitting at 73M819's house.

Recovry4x4 is swapping a truck bed with Speddmon.

andy3

I am on the road this morning wrangling the 4 acorns off to school so this will be on the short side.
The engine swap is for my M35A2. My truck suffered a cam failure and it was deemed better to do a swapout.
The operation will start on Friday I believe at noon perhaps sooner not on the main field but near the barn. The event is open to all, please feel free to come over and Watch or lend a hand. There will be random wrench throwing demonstrations.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a full set of straps to 4"x20', I do not like to use ratchet straps for lifting because of the way they are used (tighten till TIGHT), this weakens the strap, will work fine for securing a load but not a lift.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe Gimpy can provide some flat washers for the job.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am on the road this morning wrangling the 4 acorns off to school so this will be on the short side.
The engine swap is for my M35A2. My truck suffered a cam failure and it was deemed better to do a swapout.
The operation will start on Friday I believe at noon perhaps sooner not on the main field but near the barn. The event is open to all, please feel free to come over and Watch or lend a hand. There will be random wrench throwing demonstrations.
I wouldn't publicize this event too much. DT may come up with another "special event spectator fee/armband" if it looks like they can make an extra dime.:naner:

andy3

I assume we are abiding by official SSGR14 guidelines and measuring the throws in Standard instead of Metric. Any participant that doesn't begin his/her throw without swearing or "Hey ya'll watch this" will be disqualified.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a full set of straps to 4"x20', I do not like to use ratchet straps for lifting because of the way they are used (tighten till TIGHT), this weakens the strap, will work fine for securing a load but not a lift.
If it were heavy I agree with you. But the body is aluminium and you can probably pick up one end by hand. Normally we use lifting straps or chains.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Count me in. I am bringing video- photo- and web camera, so we can record what is happening in detail as well. I will only bring a few weak hands and smart remarks. I am good in making sure coffee and snacks are being served at regular intervals (cannot work without it).

smileys-coffee-292599.gif

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume SSGR14 stands for Steel Soldier Georgia Rally 2014?

This whole thread is like a big loop, and I'm on the outside looking in...
Well get on a plane, and join the fun. I can promise you two things- You won't go hungry, and we will find a place for you to lay your head. Now mind you, it may be under my M814, but you will be snug as a bug in a rug............

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I have purchased the generator from Speddmon from the bed that will be moved to your 1008. How can we handle this, take it out before the move, after the move, or leave it in the bed and I get it out in Loxahatchee?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any way you like Roy. The body is much easier to balance without it but we can handle it either way.

sandcobra164

I can help until about 4 or 5 on Friday and will only be bringing some knowledge and hands. After that, I will be getting my wife and boys settled in and conducting trail rides. I'll bet it out of the truck before I leave though.

sandcobra164

I did get a new cordless 1/4" drive impact today. Alot of people laugh at it's usefulness but I'll bet alot of them will be surprised once they see it in action.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks