• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Issue

David_4x4

I've got a really bad steering problem with my truck.

Whenever I hit a rapid sucession of bumps the steering wheel will spin. As in the truck will track the same line, but the sterring wheel resets itself to a different location. It get's really scary when it happens in a curve in the road etc.

I was thinking maybe just the steering wheel was loose, but it's doesnt move any when the truck is stationary. But then again the rough ride maybe causing it more stress and vibration than my little self does?

I was also getting kinda concered about a bucking it's been getting in the steering wheel and also seems one way it'll make a nice sharp turn, the other way it feels it would take a Walmart parking lot to make a circle it.

Didnt know if all this maybe in realtion to one another and lead to some problem or if anyone else may have some similar issues...

devilman96

Might want to take a really close look at the end play in the gear box... The steering shaft or the box are the only two places that would allow for play like that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PARK IT! Find what is wrong now! That sounds really dangerous. Sorry I don't have any suggestions as to what the actual problem is.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also check the mounts on the housing. The front axle may have sheared off the center pin and the axle housing moving on the leaf spring.

dabtl

I kind of think it may need tightening of the steering gear. I got into the TM and found an adjustment that we will try first.

dabtl

Re: RE: Steering Issue

Recovry4x4 said:
Also check the mounts on the housing. The front axle may have sheared off the center pin and the axle housing moving on the leaf spring.
No problem on the housing or axle housing moving. I think it may be just too much clearance in the steering gear. There is an adjustment of the gear box on the inside. Anyone ever done this?

JRBAMATEX

RE: Re: RE: Steering Issue

I have adjusted mine. Got it a little to tight the first time. You do want just a shade of play in the steering wheel. About 3/8" to 1/2" makes it nice so you aren't pulling on it all the time while driving and it also keeps the steering gear from being in a bind all the time. You can't even tell the little play if it is in this range. Especially if you are coming from like 1.5" or more. Also, check the oil level in the steering gear box. Just fill it with 80/90.

Probably a good idea to have someone turn the wheel fully in both directions while you inspect the works under the hood and under the suspension as well. Maybe even jack up the front axle and do the same.

dabtl

I was playing with the steering wheel and it seemed to move about five or six inches before moving the wheels.

I think tightening it up will work. We will probably do that this weekend. I wonder if the adjustment screw could be broken, however, as this came up fairly suddenly.

dabtl

I got the front axle lifted today. It feels like a very smooth power steering has been installed. I know, real life will intervene with the tires back on the ground.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

the followers on the pittman arm shaft are mounted in tapered roller bearings. probably from no oil these came apart. take the cover off the box and inspect for broken parts, i.e. debris inside the box.

dabtl

Fortunately the oil was close to being full. David will test drive it in a bit and we will see what happens. The steering was too tight after finding bottom. I will back it off tomorrow and we shall see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks