• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopped by the NCSHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeepster

Pulled this off of NCDMV web site:

North Carolina will issue two types of 2010 decals:
1. North Carolina Highway Fuel Use Tax Decals
2. International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Decals
Decals are required for “Qualified Motor Vehicles.” “Qualified Motor Vehicle” means a motor vehicle used,
designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property and:
1. Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or a registered gross vehicle weight exceeding
26,000 pounds;
2. Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or,
3. Used in combination when

Looks like you did get off easy.

wb1895

Decals are required for “Qualified Motor Vehicles.” “Qualified Motor Vehicle” means a motor vehicle used,
1. Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or a registered gross vehicle weight exceeding
26,000 pounds;

Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenjeepster

So if was going through NC with VA tags would this apply to me. I lived in NC for 3 yrs. with my duece and never heard of this.
If you get the wrong officer probably. Technically they are supposed to respect the laws of the state you are registered in, but they know that if you are far from home you are not going to come back to appear in court...soooo...

Nonotagain

If you get the wrong officer probably. Technically they are supposed to respect the laws of the state you are registered in, but they know that if you are far from home you are not going to come back to appear in court...soooo...

Don't think so.

Your registration from Virginia has to be accepted as-is.

Now Farm Tags are a different story due to the commercial nature of the business.

johnfrombeyond

In Virginia you can not haul anything in a truck with antique tags, got busted hauling trash to the dumpster, my deuce now has truck tags on it. I read up on antique tags on the DMV website, cant be used as a daily driver, have to have another vehicle registered and on the road, cant drive it to work or more than 200 miles from home, did not mention anything about hauling your trash to the dumpster, :( I fought the law and the law won.

jwaller

this is yet another example of why all of us need to take this guys bad fortune and READ UP on our local laws. these tickets will continue and they will much likely get way more expensive. IE like way more than you paid for your truck and I don't think too many of us on this site can afford it.

so go read, be safe, know your laws get the proper tag license and insurance.

IF you can afford it stay off the road.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is exactly why I dropped my antique tags and registered the deuce and the M915 as farm trucks. I have a farm policy through Progressive.....I still pay more than I want to but they can't ticket me for "Improper Tags".
I have noticed a lot more unmarked DOT vehicles running around here lately.....with tax revenue down the state is trying to make it up on the backs of the working man. Log trucks and vehicles hauling scrap seem to be the designated victims.

Nonotagain

This is exactly why I dropped my antique tags and registered the deuce and the M915 as farm trucks. I have a farm policy through Progressive.....I still pay more than I want to but they can't ticket me for "Improper Tags".
I have noticed a lot more unmarked DOT vehicles running around here lately.....with tax revenue down the state is trying to make it up on the backs of the working man. Log trucks and vehicles hauling scrap seem to be the designated victims.
Watch those farm plates, as there typically is a limit on the distance you are allowed to venture from your farm. Virginia was listed as 175 miles from your farm, and you can’t cross state lines.

I think the reason most people register their vehicle as "Antique" is; cheap insurance, reduced tag fees, no annual or bi-annual inspections, and in some cases no safety inspection when you make the purchase.

Vehicles having a gross vehicle weight exceeding 10,000 lbs have to have a documented and scheduled vehicle maintenance program, which most people aren't aware of.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Well, the good thing is that you didn't get a ticket for no fuel decal. Get one immediately and say nothing about it in court. You can probably still beat the rap about the overweight antique.

lonegunman

I was looking thru NC DMV information and most of the commerical vehicle drama is reserved for trucks over 26,000lbs. The deuce comes in under that weight every time. I'd look on the ticket for the statute that the cop says you violated and go see what it says.

The 4,000lb thing is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm betting he is confused or misread something and is writing tickets on it. My dad was stopped years ago in North Carolina for carrying a concealed weapon. The officer testified it was in plain sight, then under cross examination revealed that is was in a zipped shut gun case, inside a larger tool bag in a locked truck. He said under oath, that my dad looked like a guy who would own a gun and said he felt that was probable cause to search his car without a warrant.

He recieved an admonishment from the judge who was not impressed with the reasoning.

The moral of the story? Being a cop does not make you an expert on the law or right. Go check for yourself.

SixSpeed

Banned
I should start a thread about the time my Unimog was charged $5 at the city dump for being "commercial". two axles, single tires, 6500lbs. Privately registered and insured, no commercial markings.

I almost lost it....we had been through the day before in my friends 3500 Ram which weighs more/has more tires.

63sierra10

26,000 pounds;

Ok there are some areas here that are open for interpretation. 1. In the first line it says "maintained for the transportation of..." It sounds to me that you maintain it for parades and the like. The designed thing can go out the window when you tell them it is of historical signifigance, and maintained as such. 2. It does not exceed 26,000 lbs. Last you can also argue the three or more axles because your neighbor with a little 6 wheeler or 4 wheeler with an extra axle installed needs these fuel tax stickers. If a judge who was ever in the Military saw this it would likely be tossed as long as you presented your self and case very strongly and not so much as a rub the cops nose in it way.

rmgill

Guys, What the law says in other states is Not remotely relevant to the discussion. In this case the NC laws are what control. It doesn't matter if an antique truck is or is NOT allowed to be used for hauling goods. NC laws are only relevant.

First, I am pretty **** certain that the IFTA regs do NOT apply to vehicles which are NOT being used in interstate commerce. IF that was the case then Motor Coaches being used for businesses would not need an IFTA sticker and they DO. They're the same as a bus if they're used for a business. I had this conversation years ago with some IFTA folks and they finally came around to my reasoning.

First, Look at the federal regs. They're the minimum. 390.3 (f)(3). The state MUST adhere to the minimum standards. This is your watch word for some of these folks because they fear being held out of compliance by the feds. You can show them with this that you would NOT be placing the state in a non-compliant with the FMCSAs.

Second, look at the statutes for Antique vehicles. If there are no restrictions on hauling loads then there are no restrictions on hauling loads. The Cop is out in left field.

zyrtecx

The Governor of North Carolina needs more money! North Carolina has a TAX for everything...
The Governor must have put the NCSHP on Notice that Great State of North Carolina needs MONEY and they needed to go out and get it!
And I know that, I'm a previous NCSHP employee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks