• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super single? HEMTT rims on a 5 ton???

my blood flows OD

My goal is to super single my new M-813 on 16.00/20.
I'm looking for info on what is the best rim set up.
I seeing talk about HEMTT rims will fit if you machine out the center of the rims to fit the hubs on the front axle.
Is there any bennifit to running the HEMTT rims?
What rim combo has the best clearance?
I also remember hearing about running bridge truck spacers with 5 ton combat rims.
Is this a better option?
I know this is a common upgrade but I'm new to the 5tons and I can't seem to get any help from the search engine.:shrugs::confused:

Last edited:

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hemmt or combat wheels will bolt right on your 813. Grinding the front drums is only needed for putting hemmt wheels on a m915 series truck. I have 6 used combat wheels with the bigger studs complete with valve stems and new orings beadlocks ready to ship. $600 plus shipping.image.jpgimage.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not positive about the back spacing on the rears of your 5 ton using HEMTT wheels but I can tell you the real reason most folks use HEMMT wheels is because they are the strongest wheel most of us have access to that will fit on our trucks. I singled out my M920 using HEMMT wheel and 1600R20s But bear in mind the 920 is rated as a 20 ton truck, in theory the truck has the capability to actually USE those wheels! With a 5 ton I would not waste the time going to HEMMT wheels, they are about 4 times overkill for your 5 tons capacity. Postman515 has a pretty darned fair offer on the table for you using combat rims, they will do everything your truck could ever support and more.
Good luck
Karl

SLOrazorsedge

The reason guys use the HEMMET wheels on a M800/M939 5-ton with 16R20 tires is the back spacing on the front axle. With the HEMMT wheels the back spacing will keep you from bumping the idler arm and they track nicely up front, looks mean as heck too. The combat wheels will interfere with the idler arm. As for mounting on axle #2 & 3 they track a bit narrower than the combat wheels with the hubs flipped. There are plenty of guys on here running the HEMMETs on their 5- tons with 16R20s with posted pics.

my blood flows OD

Postman does have a fair price on his 5 ton rims.
I just want to weight all my options.
the only thing that has me thinking leaning toward the HEMTT rims is that I might be able to get a set locally for $50 a rim.
I love your point about the rims being 4x overkill.
my plain for this truck is to replace my beloved bobbed deuce. All I really ever did with that truck was drive to Walmart or the parts store.
so id say I'm not to worried about overkill.
thank you for the advise once again Karl.
its great to have people share there knowledge

my blood flows OD

So HEMTT's have less back spacing then 5 ton combats?
Anyone out there have specs on the track with difference?
has any one run HEMTT's on the front to gain the clearance but run 5 ton combat on the rear to make not look so odd.

Vintage iron

I am also thinking about running 1600R21 MK-48 wheels on the front and rear of my M916. I want to run the heavier load rated rims because I will be hauling heavy. I am thinking about running bridge truck rear spacers on the rear axles to make the rear track right. Anyone with 4 to 8 rear bridge truck spacer with stud PM me.

M920

One other problem with running the HEMTT wheels on the front of your 800 series 5 ton, is that the studs are too short for the thick centers of the HEMTT wheels!
There are ways to fix that, but it adds additional cost and time to the convesion.

Soni

my blood flows OD

So I now have a game plan after taking in all of this info, and using what I could find locally at a good price.
I now own 7 HEMTT rims. I plan on doing a hub flip in the rear and HEMTT's all around.
Does this sound logical.
anybody see anything that I'm missing here.

Andrmorr

So HEMTT's have less back spacing then 5 ton combats?
has any one run HEMTT's on the front to gain the clearance but run 5 ton combat on the rear to make not look so odd.
That's exactly what I did...Used HEMTT's on the front to run 16s without them rubbing when turning, and for the wider stance...then I used the 5 ton combat rims in the back because they have more offset and have a wider stance in the back...No pics yet since I'm still building wheels but you hit on the right combo with your question...will update when completed...

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

Ill dig up a picture. I have hemtt rims on my 813. The rears are narrower than the front axle. It is noticeable but not bad looking. I love the way it looks. Much better than the NDTs and original rims. 20160401_074843.jpg