• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swing away tire carrier dimensions

ATNC325

Thanks for posting this up!! You inspired me to build one myself off your plans!! Worked like a charm, was even able to modify the plans some so the tire sits higher in the closed position from the factor setup so I can clear my surge brake on my m103a2 trailer. Also was into the whole project for probably less than $300....which is way cheaper than piecing all the parts together off ebay.

IMG_20201021_180821181.jpg

IMG_20201021_180827653.jpg
IMG_20201021_182135796.jpg
IMG_20201021_182149375.jpg

TOM R

That looks great, I figured that what it will cost me also just haven't got to it, far cry from the 1200+ shipping guys ask for them lol

ATNC325

That looks great, I figured that what it will cost me also just haven't got to it, far cry from the 1200+ shipping guys ask for them lol
100% agreed

I believe the most costly component I bought was this the hinge

Well worth it IMHO, used same one for other jeep tire carriers I previously built. I liked this one cause the length of the shaft allowed me to hole saw drill straight through the c-channel and weld basically in 4 areas.....top/bottom and top/bottom where it comes through both sides of the C-channel therefore I didn't add the gussets to the shaft (albeit all cause I'm just lazy though, it definitely would have added strength)

Grabbed the rachet jack from tractor supply for $50. About $50 from eBay for the bumper rest bracket (again was just lazy and didn't want to build that and figured I could use that as a guide or template on how the rest of the carrier should be laid out. And I think I spent about $80 at the local metal supply yard. Was happy cause they even flame cut me the circle for the wheel mount.

So if you have a welder, chop saw/angle grinder and drill you are set!!

Again I owe Andyrv6av8r a steak dinner and some 🍻

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% agreed

I believe the most costly component I bought was this the hinge

Well worth it IMHO, used same one for other jeep tire carriers I previously built. I liked this one cause the length of the shaft allowed me to hole saw drill straight through the c-channel and weld basically in 4 areas.....top/bottom and top/bottom where it comes through both sides of the C-channel therefore I didn't add the gussets to the shaft (albeit all cause I'm just lazy though, it definitely would have added strength)

Grabbed the rachet jack from tractor supply for $50. About $50 from eBay for the bumper rest bracket (again was just lazy and didn't want to build that and figured I could use that as a guide or template on how the rest of the carrier should be laid out. And I think I spent about $80 at the local metal supply yard. Was happy cause they even flame cut me the circle for the wheel mount.

So if you have a welder, chop saw/angle grinder and drill you are set!!

Again I owe Andyrv6av8r a steak dinner and some 🍻
It looks great! If it wasn't such a long drive, I'd take you up on that steak and beer!

thoner7

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is awesome, thank you! I had the same idea, these dimensions will be a huge help.

How much spare length do you have on your ratchet? The 8-9” throw made me wonder

Do you recall what this angle was?
The 9" right triangle will give you the angle. I basically just centered the tire on the tailgate and it came out fine. There's plenty of room on the screw jack, even if you're on a hill.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is awesome, thank you! I had the same idea, these dimensions will be a huge help.

How much spare length do you have on your ratchet? The 8-9” throw made me wonder

Do you recall what this angle was?
The complete ratchet assembly is available at Tractor Supply.

91287E45-FDDE-4A1C-9610-E2E9A4FF1AF9.png

thoner7

The 9" right triangle will give you the angle. I basically just centered the tire on the tailgate and it came out fine. There's plenty of room on the screw jack, even if you're on a hill.
Ahh duh I didn’t notice that 21” mark.

So did you get your measurements from the OEM carrier?

Where did you find C channel like that? I’ve only ever seen it with this profile:https://www.metalsdepot.com/assets/files/Catalog_Photos/MetalsDepot-channel.jpg

I like how yours keeps the tire tucked in tight to the tailgate. I was going to do my best with that also. Great job.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh duh I didn’t notice that 21” mark.

So did you get your measurements from the OEM carrier?

Where did you find C channel like that? I’ve only ever seen it with this profile:https://www.metalsdepot.com/assets/files/Catalog_Photos/MetalsDepot-channel.jpg

I like how yours keeps the tire tucked in tight to the tailgate. I was going to do my best with that also. Great job.
It's just a piece of regular 6" C channel like your drawing. I didn't have a tire carrier to measure from either; I looked at photos and just measured what I had and made it work.