• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

take a look at these wheel bearings & brake pads / drums

jesusgatos

I've got the rear axles rebuilt. Flipped the hubs, and replaced all the seals and wheel cylinders. Bearings, brake pads and drums were all in excellent condition. The front axle isn't in great shape though. No water or rust inside the knuckles, but the bearing races have some wear-marks on them, the brake pads show some pitting / deep gouges, and the drums aren't in as good of shape as those on the rear axles. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think. Do I need to replace the wheel bearings and/or brake pads? Should I have the drums turned?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like the condition shown in the first pad picture, or of the scored parts on the races. The races may clean up, but I'm not so sure about the pad. Swap it for one in the rear, because they seem to get less stress, or replace it altogether, depending on your finances. If it were me, it would NOT stay on the front.2cents

tiger422

The race looks like it has been sitting in one spot for a loooooong time try to clean it up with 400 grit sand paper if it does not clean up replace bearing and race.
:ditto:with the brakes swap with rear.

jesusgatos

Thanks for the input guys. I've already got the rears all put back together, so I'll probably just order new pads. Only bummer (aside from the $) is that I'll have to leave the truck up on jackstands until the new pads get here. Argh.

tiger, those races are only showing those marks on that one side, so I think you're right. I've sprayed them down with mineral spirits and rubbed them down with a clean rag, but the marks are still there. Is sanding the races really OK?

G-Force

change the bearing. I've seen that on machines I work on. Tiger is right. This usually would occur if our machines sit for long periods of time or are shipped with their rotating assembly installed in the frame. It probably happened if your truck was flat bedded to where you bought it. If you polish the race it may look nice but the rollers have flat spots on them now and will eventually start failing.....trust me I know........The shoes I would swap out with the rears like SC recommended. They still look like they have alot of life left in them. Also get the drums cut.

Crazyguypa

Is sanding the races really OK?
NO. They are machined parts and unless you take off the exact amount all the way around (which there is no way you will do with sandpaper) you will cause the bearing to not sit as designed and will cause you problems down the road. Uneven loading on the bearing will cause heating problems on the bearings, resulting in failure. Better to spend the little extra money now while you have it appart and do it right, then to have it fail when you are on the road.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
NO. They are machined parts and unless you take off the exact amount all the way around (which there is no way you will do with sandpaper) you will cause the bearing to not sit as designed and will cause you problems down the road. Uneven loading on the bearing will cause heating problems on the bearings, resulting in failure. Better to spend the little extra money now while you have it appart and do it right, then to have it fail when you are on the road.

Frank is 110% dead on. There is nothing worse that having a failure, that could have been avoided, and trying to find a way to get home in a 13000- 35000 truck.

jesusgatos

I know. That's why I'm doing all this preventative maintenance now. I'll be putting a lot more miles on this rig than most MV's see in retirement (I've already put over 4,000 miles on it since I bought this truck from Hammer in January) because I'm LIVING in this M109 and I'm towing a 6,000lb trailer (total combined weight is about 22,000lbs).

Any chance I might be able to source these brake pads through a local NAPA? What about the wheel bearings? Anybody got part numbers handy?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had a front bearing fail on me while on the road. It is 1000 times cheaper to do it in the yard than 30 miles from any exit on the highway. Much less of a pain in the azz too! Might not be a bad idea to hang onto the old ones as spares, I did. Could get you to a safe yard at least.

jesusgatos

A quick search turned up the wheel bearing part number (inner bearing: bca 3994 / outer bearing: bca 392), but I haven't been able to find anything to suggest that I might be able to find brake pads locally.

jesusgatos

The person I just spoke to at my local NAPA store told me to bring one of the pads down so they could take a look at it. Any chance they're going to be able to source something that will work? Or should I just order these from one of the MV parts companies? I'd just like to get this thing back on 6 wheels sooner than later...

Keith_J

The person I just spoke to at my local NAPA store told me to bring one of the pads down so they could take a look at it. Any chance they're going to be able to source something that will work? Or should I just order these from one of the MV parts companies? I'd just like to get this thing back on 6 wheels sooner than later...
As long as the linings are not worn to metal, the shoes can be relined. Since these are universal shoes (no leading/trailing), the linings are the same. The bulk material is slightly flexible, once it is riveted and then used, it hardens.

There should be a shop in a major city phone book. Might cost $20 per shoe and can be done in a day.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a shop in a major city phone book. Might cost $20 per shoe and can be done in a day.
Wow, $20 would be great. My local shop wanted well more than $20 - I think around $100 for each shoe. New ones are, what, $25 each?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing you decided to replace the front bearings and cones. I had a front one go bad south of Eugene, not pretty.

When you stop for whatever, check the temperature of your hubs with the back of your hand. Too hot to touch is too hot to run.

Normal operating temperature during summer is around 100 deg F. I check mine with a HF temperature gauge frequently. An old habit from towing trailers that sit a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks