• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tapered ferrule for winch cable hook...

rattlecan6104

so, I have snapped my winch cable and have gotten to the point of removing the brass ferrule out of the hook cable end fitting for the winch... unfortunately in removal it became... well... impossible to reuse. That being said, anyone have a source on these? My search both on this site and google have yielded no joy.

Keith_J

Best bet is to go to the Crosby catalog and find something new. Reusing old wire rope fittings is a gamble. If the wire rope is corroded, best to replace and maintain new rope.

Sure, it is only a winch. But there is still a lot of potential energy in that wire rope with five tons of force on it. Fix it right or leave it broke. Don't use iffy rigging.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "esmet"

spicergear

PM me for an Esmet Electroline distributor. I have purchased three now. I'm not posting this info in public because it is a family member but he's a rep for Esmet.

Also, this was discussed a couple months ago.

spicergear

I've gotten two for 1/2" cable on the deuce and one for the 5/8" cable for the 20,000lb Garwoods on the 5 ton front winches. They are EXACTLY the part you are looking for.

spicergear

See the cable end in the center of the pic? I have it hooded into a D-ring in pintle hook to keep it from swinging around. That is one of Esmet's Electroline forged units. I bought it in natural finish and hit it with some black spray paint. These units ARE the ones you want. This one is on 5/8" cable, deuces want 1/2".

Attachments

spicergear

Tree guy, Thanks, it's shaft drive with a reversing box in place of the factory frame mounted pillow block. Still uses both stock Unimog PTO driveshafts in the rear.

M16ty is correct. That ebay wire rope socket is too small. It's lists accomodating material and opening width of .438". The pear link on the end of the deuce lead/grab chains is 5/8 or .625"...and the rope is 1/2" So, for $40 on ebay plus $8 shipping you can have the wrong one or PM me and for $50 and shipping you can have the correct one. ?? Oh well...