• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Mule Rides Again

tacotruck

As previously mentioned, I came into cucvsrus' legendary "Mule" thru some bartering with the gentlemen he sold it to.

As it sits, she has about 6700 on the odometer, I got it with around 3000 (roll over if I understand correctly so 103-106k?).

Truck had more or less sat for at least a year prior to me getting into it. Pennsylvania is cruel to cars and rust was starting to set into the body again, so I finally got the excuse to take it off the road to do some body work when a fuel line split. There have been minor repairs here and there (alternator rebuilds, reseal the rear dif, refreshed/returned to stock the front grille area etc) but nothing "big" so far.

The truck is solid shape but could use a lot to make it "perfect". I have to limit the scope however or it won't get finished. Thus scope for this summer is to repair/replace the floors pan from the rear seats back, overhaul the fuel system (lines, probably replace filter, maybe add a secondary filter, potentially replace the tank as I'm not sure if tank is gonna clean up well).

20240410_131217.jpg

20240410_131205.jpg

20240410_131153.jpg

If things go really well there is at least one patch needed behind the driver's seat and rocker work, which would let me get it done enough to potentially drop in a vinyl floor like I've considered but not sure I want to go that far yet as dry rot is really beginning to set in on the tires, and if I want to put any miles on this 100% those will need done and that will be some $$$.

For now, for a start, over about 3-4 hours (but about 4 weeks due to dodging rain...) rear bumper is off, fuel tank is out, going to clean up the metal underneath on the floor with a wire wheel to get an idea of exactly how good or bad various spots are when it comes to cutting and patching. I know for sure the entire tail pan needs to come out, the left rear corner/body mount is just gone. I do already have some panels I plan to use but haven't ruled out just putting an entire complete pan in it.

20240411_112807.jpg

20240428_113834(1).jpg

Stay tuned for next time where we see what's in the tank.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son replaced the rear floor pan in his. He saved the crossmembers then panel bonded all 3 pieces in. Clamped tight for a day and it's done! Got the panels from lmc. There's some trimming to fit perfect but not to much. Definitely worth it vs a few patches.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

tacotruck

Got the lock ring off the tank.

The sending unit unfortunately did not survive removing the hoses. I cut them off when dropping it rather than fuss with it in those tight quarters, and attempts to remove the remnants on the ground were futile.

Inside of the tank and fuel quality isn't looking too hot.

20240428_115606.jpg

Lot of debris floating in the tank itself, lot of algae on the sock. I'm actually surprised it ran as well as it did, and not surprised I had to do a box filter in it last year.

20240428_115742.jpg

Prior owner always treated his fuel, I tried to at least in winter... probably wasn't enough for the amount I was using it. it looks like a new tank is $120 + freight from LMC, is there anything wrong with those tanks that would make it worth while to get this one cleaned, especially given starting to rust in the filler neck of the tank? Can I step up to a 31 gal and keep the skid plate for the tank?

Otherwise starting to clean up the metal underneath. Go figure the stuff under the tank was some of the cleaner metal left making this somewhat unnecessary, but oh well.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The sending unit unfortunately did not survive removing the hoses. I cut them off when dropping it rather than fuss with it in those tight quarters, and attempts to remove the remnants on the ground were futile.

View attachment 922375

Lot of debris floating in the tank itself, lot of algae on the sock. I'm actually surprised it ran as well as it did, and not surprised I had to do a box filter in it last year.

View attachment 922377

Prior owner always treated his fuel, I tried to at least in winter... probably wasn't enough for the amount I was using it. it looks like a new tank is $120 + freight from LMC, is there anything wrong with those tanks that would make it worth while to get this one cleaned, especially given starting to rust in the filler neck of the tank? Can I step up to a 31 gal and keep the skid plate for the tank?

Otherwise starting to clean up the metal underneath. Go figure the stuff under the tank was some of the cleaner metal left making this somewhat unnecessary, but oh well.
I went with a Dorman fuel tank and it was fine so I wouldn't bother trying to reuse the current one. Who makes a 31 gallon tank?

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some universal tanks that run a little cheaper, but none that are close to 31 gal.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 922375

View attachment 922377

We did the LMC tank and sender. Fits great. You could use the Suburban tank but the shield won't fit...you may get away with making 6 spacers to drop it lower though. Just pop a jerry can in the left rear spot. There's a good mount for it. The filler neck that bolts to the truck is still available unless you're talking about the long neck on the tank that might be rusty. Really I look at it, is I got the thing out do I spend the 180$ to replace all of it or spend a day cleaning it up. The big place to worry about is where the sender ring gets put in. If that is rusty or messed up it can leak.

tacotruck

We did the LMC tank and sender. Fits great. You could use the Suburban tank but the shield won't fit...you may get away with making 6 spacers to drop it lower though. Just pop a jerry can in the left rear spot. There's a good mount for it. The filler neck that bolts to the truck is still available unless you're talking about the long neck on the tank that might be rusty. Really I look at it, is I got the thing out do I spend the 180$ to replace all of it or spend a day cleaning it up. The big place to worry about is where the sender ring gets put in. If that is rusty or messed up it can leak.
Yeah, if the LMC Suburban tank won't let me use the skid plate gonna skip that. Not worth it. I'll just go with the standard 25. I did actually manage to find a polymer jerry can I use to store fuel in now, really fits the truck.

I do have a new filler neck that mounts to the body as that has some internal and external rust that is getting fairly crusty.

I am definitely just gonna replace the tank as the neck on the tank itself has some stuff in it, the lock ring area is all junked up from rust.

cucvrus

That fuel tank was brand new GM one 15 years ago. I had it out and changed the pick up sock and sprayed the entire tank with undercoating back in 2010. I drove the pants off that truck for many years. I think it had 17k on it when I bought it and it was a NG truck from Puxatawney PA. I think Phil the ground hog drove it and maintained it because it was a puss case when I bought it. I stripped it bare and pressure washed everything. It was a good vehicle. Check out my build thread on that thing.

tacotruck

That fuel tank was brand new GM one 15 years ago. I had it out and changed the pick up sock and sprayed the entire tank with undercoating back in 2010. I drove the pants off that truck for many years. I think it had 17k on it when I bought it and it was a NG truck from Puxatawney PA. I think Phil the ground hog drove it and maintained it because it was a puss case when I bought it. I stripped it bare and pressure washed everything. It was a good vehicle. Check out my build thread on that thing.
It runs good.

I think the crowning achievement was hauling some flight hardware in it when the company van was down about 2 years ago, needed something enclosed so couldn't use a pickup bed and with the seats flipped up it fit fine. probably the first time it had done work on Uncle Sam's dime in quite a long time, and also probably the last.

Progress will be slow. I typically get home after 730 on weekdays and don't tend to feel motivated to wrench, but got enough spring yard work done this week to where I think I can make some progress Wednesday and make a final call on if I am gonna piece together the rear pan from the patch panels I have or order a complete pan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks