• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those Periphery Washers

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that the truck is all apart and my excel spread sheet of all the fasteners I removed is finished, I started looking at all the periphery washers used. What is puzzleing is the manual 9 SNL G-741 shows regular washers, or none at all, and not periphery washers. Once again I'm at a loss since I don't have another truck to look at to compare. As an example all my front brush guards had periphery washers under the bolt heads (3/8") but the manual shows none and lists none. Same for the front fenders to the brackets (1/2"). I have a good supply of those washers but wonder what is "correct"?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The principle purpose of int/ext tooth washers is to provide an electrical path between the sheet metal parts of the vehicle. Seems like it was more of a concern in the earlier days of the M37. My sons '53 used them all over. If you decide to use them, make sure they are hardened or they won't do much good.

1943ht

A mix of washers would not be incorrect. Washers were mixed and matched over the service lifetime of these trucks as "Joe" used whatever washers were on hand in the motor-pool shop .. That's one reason you may find a mix of washers on these beasts. My own 53 M37 saw service with the Army until 1976.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A mix of washers would not be incorrect. Washers were mixed and matched over the service lifetime of these trucks as "Joe" used whatever washers were on hand in the motor-pool shop .. That's one reason you may find a mix of washers on these beasts. My own 53 M37 saw service with the Army until 1976.
Same for lots of things on these trucks. Many served for 25 years or more so parts were interchanged with what was current. I saw one M37 at GL in Chambersburg about 8 years ago so it was stuck somewhere in the system before the sale and may have served into the 2000's. I have had more then a few discussions about the proper paint to use also but during my Army time, 1965-1972, all had been repainted 24087 so what is "correct" depends on what era or time frame you want to create.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks