• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

to destroy a m342 or not?

ncduece

I purchased a m342 a year or so ago. iI have been using it on my project in wv. the question i have for you guys is that that truck is starting to need quite a bit of up keep . i just replace the head gaskets, now the turbo is out and its loosing brake fluid, will need a new starter soon yada yada. mostly basic stuff for older truck but i just need a dump truck not a project. i have a 1987 m35a2c i was thing about swapping the dump over to. But i understand these trucks are somewhat rare so i dont know whether to do my swap or try to sell the truck as i would hate to see a rare model being destroyed. anybody know if these are a desirable model? what would be the value as i would just as soon sell or trade it and try to get a 5ton dump if i could i will try to post pictures of it soon.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think thats two different problems. I think both are minor and could be fixed in a weekend, but I understand that could be $$$ to you I would sell, trade or barter it off if you don't feel like fixing. They are not common trucks. At least you had the courtesy to ask.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asking prices and selling prices are 2 different animals. Lots of M342A2 trucks come with steep asking prices but not sure what they are selling for. It's one of my favorites but I'm just not in the market right now!

zak

DO NOT swap the parts over to the other truck. It rare enough that somebody here will take it off your hands. The brakes are out on mine because a 50+ year old line blew. The lines need replacing but that comes with owning a old truck. It will be the first spring task. Put it in the classifieds and see what happens. You might be supprised.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Concur with the last few comments. I would NOT swap the beds. From the perspective of a collector in the future, they will be able to identify if the frame serial number matches that the truck was made as a dump or not.

You will probably get your money back on the M342 when you're done with it. Probably even get it back if you do the swap around. But fix it up and use it now, then refurb it so it is 'nice', and you will get a lot more money or pass it down to your kids and they will get even more money. Just some rambling thoughts on this.

wsucougarx

Keep the 342 and restore her! I would look at that truck as a savings account rather than throwing money away. You'll get your money out of her when you sell down the road.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DO NOT HURT THE M342! STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!

First, don't 342's have some frame reinforcing a standard cargo truck wouldn't have?

Second, wouldn't replacing a turbo and doing brake maintenance be easier than swapping a bed, the scissor assy., pto, pump, lines, etc.?

Third, all these trucks are going to require some maintenance. What are you going to do after you swap the bed and all the other junk and the turbo and airpack go South on the A2C? Buy another and swap the stuff again?

tm america

Dont do the swap... You won't like the final product..You would be better off selling the dump and putting a dump on the m35a2c... You'll end up with a bigger bed with drop sides.Either bed on the m35a2c won't give you a double frame..Just do like i did and box the bed frame rails with 3/16 steel and put a dump kit on it then you can load it with a fork lift and dump to unload .Youll probably even end up with some extra loot in your pocket and someone can save the rare factory dump

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully if you don't want to put the time and money into fixing it you will pass it along to some one here that will save it intacted . And like clinto said the next one will have problems at some point , 40 and 50 year old trucks need regular maintainace .

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fact that I and several others on here would gladly take thsat truck off your hands would help make up your mind I'm sure. And securing another dump isn't that hard to do, depending on what you need for your line of work. There are plenty of civie dumps out there as well as military 5 tonners that carry more that this one did.