• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque converter stuck on engine....

detroitdiesel4x4

Started pulling out my trans on my 86 CUCV stock turbo 400. I broke the trans free from the engine and started sliding it back...the torque converter wont move away from the engine and I can see the gap inbetween the bellhousing and TC getting larger, so the transmission is actually sliding away from the TC and the TC is staying close too the engine. It feels like the transmission doesn't want to move back any further either, but it may just need some force. Now I was told by some people this is normal, and you drop the transmission and actually unbolt the torque converter from the flange on the crank on the back of the engine, and I was always under the impression (and confirmed by others) the torque converter and flex plate stay on the transmission shaft and move the with the transmission....so where should I go from here? And who's right and who's wrong? THANKS

Sephirothq

This is how I do it.

Before I take any of the transmission to engine bolts loose I remove the 4 or is it 6? bolts on the torque converter and slide it back into the transmission.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably should read the TM before you cost yourself a bunch of money in broken parts by doing it incorrectly.

KsM715

The flexplate stays with the engine, its bolted to the crank. The TC is bolted to the flexplate. Spin the crank a little at a time to get to each of the TC bolts. Unbolt them and the trans will slide back from the engine leaving the TC with the trans and the FP on the engine

*edit* those bolts are what connects the engine to the trans. Without them there is nothing connecting the rest of the driveline to the motor

KsM715

You probably should read the TM before you cost yourself a bunch of money in broken parts by doing it incorrectly.

Normaly I would agree with this. But in my younger years doing it the hardway was how I learned to turn a wrench. I am by no means a shop mech. but I can hold my own when it comes to working on my own stuff because of the stuff I learned by just tearing into it. Live and learn

smoke

The torque convertor is bolt to the flex plate the bolts have to unbolt from the flex plate in order for the transmission to come out.DO Not go any farther until you unbolt the torque convertor from the flex plate. If you look between the flexplate and the back of the block you will see the bolts or the studs with nuts on them. Remove them then continue pulling trans. Trans will not come out with torque convertor still bolted to flex plate

detroitdiesel4x4

One more question somewhat unrelated....I've read when installing a torque converter you need to push and turn so it clicks X amount of times....I have moved the torque converter forward and back on the trans input shaft, but haven't completely removed it. Do I have to do this turn click method or can I just reassemble. Flex plate is out and new one ready to go in

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW ! This should be good ! At least you did grab the BULL by the Horns as they say . Be very careful with the TC install , if not installed properly , you WILL find out what a front pump is ! O and find some new "ADVISERS " they do not know what they are talking about when it comes to transmissions ! READ READ the TM's , good luck

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more question somewhat unrelated....I've read when installing a torque converter you need to push and turn so it clicks X amount of times....I have moved the torque converter forward and back on the trans input shaft, but haven't completely removed it. Do I have to do this turn click method or can I just reassemble. Flex plate is out and new one ready to go in
I would replace the front seal in the transmission while it's out , especially after tugging on trying to get the transmission out . A couple dollar seal is cheap insurance to not have to pull it again.

KsM715

:ditto: Pull the converter, put in a new seal. make sure you dont dump out the fluid from the TC. When you put the TC back on the trans you have to slowly spin it while putting slight pressure on it and you will feel it "sink" into place. If you dont and its sitting "ontop" of the pump rather than seated where it should be you wont be able to get the trans back into place. You'll have a small gap that just wont close between the bellhousing and the block and it will frustrate the **** out of you if you dont know why it wont go all the way.

MarcusOReallyus

When you put the TC back on the trans you have to slowly spin it while putting slight pressure on it and you will feel it "sink" into place.

There it is. It's not a "certain number of clicks" or any other magic incantation. It's just feeling for those splines to line up and engage so it will seat properly.

Watch the video!

Skinny

Wouldn't hurt to measure how deep the TQ sits in compared to the bellhousing mounting surface. Then make sure that is deeper than how far the flexplate sticks off the back of the engine. Regardless of what setup you are working on, this is always the surefire safe way to proceed.

86m1028

The torque convertor is bolt to the flex plate the bolts have to unbolt from the flex plate in order for the transmission to come out.DO Not go any farther until you unbolt the torque convertor from the flex plate. If you look between the flexplate and the back of the block you will see the bolts or the studs with nuts on them. Remove them then continue pulling trans. Trans will not come out with torque convertor still bolted to flex plate
Wrong

You can remove the trans with converter still bolted to engine.

BTW it SHOULD have 6 bolts in it.

Skinny

Yes but that becomes poor practice when you hit the TQ hub on something as the transmission comes down. Not to mention it is an awkward one man job to pull the TQ by itself. Comes out pretty easy and fool proof inside the bellhousing, especially when the trans is already tipped back. Just keep one hand on it to keep it from sliding forward.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks