• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a commercial trailer with an M-series 5-Ton

historyfanatics

I am contemplating buying a 5-Ton Tractor, but am not sure which series to get - 809 or 939.

Also, I need the capability to haul a commercial lowboy trailer with my other vehciles lashed down to it. Any recommendations on how to do this?

I looked at the M-series lowboy, but I can't fit a deuce and an M151 on it. Plus, it doesn't have folding ramps.

And, the straight trailer (I don't remember the numbers) puts the gun mount on the deuce too high.

I can get a commercial lowboy for a pretty decent price. It comes with either air-assist ramps or hydraulic ramps. Plus, it's got decent ground clearance, as well as being low-enough that all my stuff clears most overhead obstructions.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

I've hauled lots of stuff with my m818. Check out this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...got-drive-1-600-miles-1-5-miles-railroad.html You are not going anywhere fast and hills will drag you down. You can tow a civilian trailer with one. Just remember the 5th wheel is about 10in higher than a civy rig. You can change the lights to 24v bulbs, or omnivolt LEDs.

But I would highly recommend a M915 or m916 as a much better military tractor.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After just doing 285 miles in ferros 818, I agree. The 818 WILL get you there-but it also beats the tar out of you. Get a 915,916 or 920.

Go with the M915, M915A1, M916, or a M920 tractor. Faster, better ride, Plenty of power, engine brake, and you can tow either military or civilian type trailers as they have 12 volt 7pin connection as well as 12 pin 24 volt military.

M1075

As a note, the M916 and M920 tractors will not pull civilian trailers without fifth wheel or kingping modifications.

The M915, M915A1 use standard king pin size fifth wheel plates, The M916, and M920's use a larger king pin size (if I remember correctly its 3.5") 5th wheel plates. You have to switch 5th wheel plates on the larger M916 and m920 tractors to the smaller standard king pin plate, or use and adapter on the the smaller king pin to "size it up" for the larger plates.

M1075

Basically-

Buy a M818 if you want off-road capability or want the "tactical look"
Buy a M915 if you want to go fast on the highway
Buy a M915A1 if you want something easy to drive

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not really looking into buying a tractor (yet), but these are all good useful specs. it does make me want to get one though!! Thanks guys![thumbzup]

historyfanatics

Basically-

Buy a M818 if you want off-road capability or want the "tactical look"
Buy a M915 if you want to go fast on the highway
Buy a M915A1 if you want something easy to drive
Is the M915/M915A1 the freightliner tractor? Basically, a 6x4? I have seen them on the GL site, but don't know much about them.

I went to J A Tonka's website, and downloaded the operator manuals for each. I'll look through them when I get a chance.

Thanks!

M1075

Is the M915/M915A1 the freightliner tractor? Basically, a 6x4? I have seen them on the GL site, but don't know much about them.

I went to J A Tonka's website, and downloaded the operator manuals for each. I'll look through them when I get a chance.

Thanks!
The M915/M915A1 were built by AM General with CCC cab. The M915A2 was built by Freightliner, but there aren't many of those in private hands yet.

R Racing

The M915 m916 m920 Have insulated cabs and mor comfortable to drive. I love my M813 and M816 but I can use my blue tooth and have conversations without yelling in the M920 also roomier cab and 12v outlet for my gps !!!

Bighurt

The M915 m916 m920 Have a 12v outlet for my gps !!!
Might want to be careful with that. I hear it's a gamble on how it's actually wired. Turns out not a lot of 12 volt accessory options in the early 80's... I'd be willing to be a lot of the earlier trucks or those that never got re-worked are wired 24v...

After all the cigarette doesn't care...

Being a former Stereo guy I wonder how well I can make a head unit mount...and add some speakers...Hmmmm

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to steel the thread, but my Garmin GPS cigarette lighter adapter input is 10 to 30 DCV. Output is 5 DCV. A 24V lighter socket works great!

historyfanatics

Thanks to everybody for the info. I never considered the 915/A1 series of trucks. Actually, I didn't even know about them. I plan on lchecking them out to see if that will work for me. Sounds like it will. Especially if I don't have to convert military to civilian/commercial.[thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M915 is a lot lighter than the M916/M920 due to lack of transfer case and front drive axle. It also gets a little better fuel milage.

The M915 came with the 15 speed Cat tranny or the 5 speed Allison. While I lke the Cat the Allison is cheaper to repair and easier to get parts for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks