• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a CUCV

Hey, I'm sure this question has been asked before, and it'll probably be asked again. But, here goes.

My wife and I are moving our family (about 210 miles from where we are now.) I've got my CUCV (m1008 ) that I want to take with me. So, I called U haul to ask them about their car hauler trailers or front wheel dollys. Turns out they only can handle up to 5,200 lbs. So, my mind went to Flat Towing. So, I guess my question is two part.

1st) Do you know of any other companies that rent car haulers/dollys or flat tow bars that can handle the weight?

2nd) IF I end up flat towing it, I've read I need to remove the drive shaft and disengage my 4X4 (just shift it to neutral and switch the hubs?) But is there anything more to it than that?

Thanks for all your help.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have flat towed a CUCV M1009 behind my deuce once. Only thing I needed to do was drop the driveshafts. I used a military medium towbar, that's all that was needed. They cost $300-400 in nice shape, with the feet, so it might be a good investment to just buy a towbar for yourself and be done with it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
210 miles? Heck that's a drive down and drive back unless there is a specific requirement to haul everything in one lift.

We used the uhaul and towed about 500 miles when I bought my truck. Had to let a little air out of the front tires so the strap would fit. Make sure you get the aluminum one and not the orange car hauler. It barely fit but was my only option. If you do it as a k30 it'll accept it. Otherwise if you feel comfortable doing it, say it's a ranger.

Brett

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What will you be towing the truck or trailer with?

The car dollies are too small. The tires won't fit between the wheel wells. At least they didn't on one I tried to use years ago.

As started the orange car haulers are also too narrow. The aluminum ones kind of work.

Just be aware of the weight of the M1008. It makes a top heavy load. Some where I have a picture of a M1008 upside down. It was still strapped to the trailer.

I'm towing with either the 26' U haul truck or, my neighbor may make the drive with me and tow it with his Duramax. I do not have a tow bar but I was just found out I may have access to a tandem axle trailer with a 12K lbs limit. That would make life a whole lot easier.

The uhaul would work. Not great or even good but it works. I wasn't planning on buying my truck when we did and only had my wife's 13 f150. It was fine till about 70 and it would start swaying pretty bad. 65 was the sweet spot. I'm sure it would've been better behind my truck. Biggest thing is not to drive to fast.

Brett

Keith_J

We towed my M1031 SECM from Sparta WI to Central TX flat tow using medium military tow bar. Transfer and transmission in neutral, hubs free up front and rear driveshaft disconnected. Batteries disconnected and steering wheel unlocked. Towed behind F250 SD crew cab just fine.