• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a m818 with a deuce

tow it, or pay to have it fixed

• go for it, and tow with the deuce

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • get it fixed, and drive it

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

kx250m1

I have read of people towing 5 tons with their deuces 500 miles or more, and I would not have any worries towing it in most cases, but I will have to go through Chicago, even If I go through at an off peak time of day, I still have some worries and questions.

1. Brakes, can you get the m818's brakes to work, I think I read that somewhere, If you can what do you need to hook them up. "I'm guessing an air line with two glad hands" but I am not sure

2. Lights, I would probably try to time going through chicago during the early evening, to try and avoid rush hour, how would you go about getting lights on the towed vehicle.

3. what speed can you pull the 5 ton at with a deuce, if I can go 50 I will probably attempt, but if I can only go 40, I will probably have it fixed where it is at and drive my regular truck to go and get it and drive it home,

the truck has a bad throw out bearing, and is 300 miles away
your opinions are welcome, and if anyone lives in the area and is looking for and adventure, I could use some experience on a trip like this. I live just north of the Il WI border, zip 53177

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
you can hook up glad hands to supply the 5 ton with air so the brakes will work....lights you will have to have make something work...... speed don't think your going much faster then 45 mph.. I have towed a 5 ton behind my deuce and it was ok.. what would help you is have some weight in the bed of the deuce the 5 ton tends to push A LOT! Take it slow and ez and you wont have a problem, I have done it.

5tonpuller

Put some weight in the deuce and hose it up so the brakes work. It will not be a fast trip so even think it. If on the road they can past let them. 300/40=7.5 hours of ride time. At least 8-9 hour ride. How much to fix it? Pay some one to get it?
My $0.05 worth

kx250m1

getting it hauled would cost me about 800, that is the cheapest offer I have had on U-ship so far.

the seller is going to look into what it would cost to have it fixed at a local shop, he is going to let me know monday.

If I tow it I am going to try and go on the Friday, or Saturday after Thanksgiving, I'm not sure what the dates are.

I'm thinking if I do this, I'll take the Lights off of my little m101 trailer, and figure out how to strap them on the back of the cab of the m818 when I get there "bungie straps, duct tape, whatever"

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a throwout bearing? How good are you with a standard shift? Drive tractor/trailers? You could start the engine in 1st gear and shift without the clutch to get it home. If your really good you could shift into low range without the clutch to go real slow at the stops.

Dennis

BEASTMASTER

if the clutch has enough free play the throwout bearing shouldn't make any noise once you get going. like stretch says, once you start moving don't use the cluth,plan you're stops ,so you don't have to stop .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First to second, might not go easy, but you could probably do low range and second gear to start, and go from there.

I don't think I have ever shifted the T-case with out the clutch, not sure how it will shift without the clutch. I will try it in the morning, just to see though.

Last edited:

oilcan

I had a part in towing an M817 with an M109 for about 50 miles on a wide open interstate with very little traffic. At times we got down to around 35 mph for miles, and even slower on the bigger "hills". (The kind of hills you don't even notice without a load.) It didn't take long to stack a whole bunch of traffic behind us!

But this was with a very infamous M109 that's known for being slow. :wink:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOB, I just typed up a long post and lost it!

I couldn't wait til' morning. Anyway, the tcase will shift with finesse, without a clutch. The engine will start in low first easiest. and shifting from low first to high first, then the rest of the gears, seamed easiest to do.

edit. I just realised this thread is about an 818 and not an M35a2, I did my test in my M35A2 and I don't know if the 818 will be the same. Sorry, I'm a dummy. Time for bed now.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does an 818 weigh? JUst shy of 20,000# right? I've ran down the road many times with 20,000 behind a deuce. Hills might be an issue but I've run 55 on the flats no problem. many have said something about adding weight to the bed of the deuce. This is a good idea and the best place to get this weight is right from the 818. Assuming it's still got the duals, move the outer tires and spare to the back of the deuce. Move the heavy ass 6TLs too. Why not pull all 4 rear axles shafts and front drive flanges too. That will be close to 1300# moved or a 2600# differential between the vehicles. Bring stuff to bleed the brakes on the 818 just to make sure you can have brakes. Be at the top of your game, plan EVERYTHING and this can be done safely.

dm22630

40 mph??? No way! Unless you are going down steep hills.

I pulled my M109 home with a deuce. I will never pull something with a deuce again. I went 55mph down STEEP mountains on redline......and 14mph uphills in 2nd gear for MILES.

M818s are very nose heavy & will jackknife your deuce if you are on anything other than dry pavement.

I would fix it or ship it.

2cents

54reo

I can vouch for the jackknife issue, a M818 will push a M35A2 around quite easily.

Kenny has the best strategy so far.

Be very careful on the turns...

Michael

I have pulled a M818 with a M109 and I agree with dm22630. You will not be able to maintain minimum legal speed on the interstate on any kind of uphill grade. If you are going to pay someone to fix it when you get it home, I would just pay someone to fix it where it is at. Or pay to have it hauled. You will burn an amazing amount of fuel towing with a deuce. I would not do it again unless I had to or I had an extra strong deuce.

There are several good posts on hooking up tow lights.