• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing home m1009

uh60

I will be picking up my 4th Military Vehicle. This one is a m1009. I was planing to tow it home with a med tow bar that I baught just to see how well it works. I could just drive it home but that would be no fun. I live close to the Draper Utah national Guard HQ where the truck is located. I think 15 Miles. I plan on towing it slow so I dont think I need to disconnect the drive shafts. From what I have read in the TM's the steering unlocked key in off, trans and transfer case in "N" . If I keep it at 25 MPH I hope no damage to t case. The one question I have is do I need some one to steer the towed vehicle or can I do it alone? I know the tow bar is stout and might be a peta to hook up alone but I think if I use a jack stand to hold the tow bar up I should be able to back in to it. Please let me know what you think.

vdub418

Seems an unnecessary risk towing it without disconnecting both drive shafts. I have always pulled the shafts when towing a vehicle, never had a problem. If you leave the shafts on and tow in neutral, parts in the trans are moving but the lubricating pumps are not pumping. My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth, I would play it safe and pull both shafts, can't go wrong.

jimm1009

towing your M1009

Chevy states that you can tow up to 50 miles.

You could always tow 10 miles, start it and tow it for 10 miles while running, and the shut it off and tow some more as required.
Hook up your tow bar to the M1009 first and then set the length an thenhook up the bar to the tow vehicle.
If you have it on level pavement then you may be able to pull it into place by hand if you are only a few inches off.
Don't foget to have functioning lights on the rear while towing. Double check your locking hubs to make sure they are unlocked. One of mine was locked in and one was locked out...
Good luck and pictures are always welcome too.

Jim

dm22630

You can tow it w/out removing the driveshafts just fine. I have done it twice.

Also....I hooked my medium towbar up to them both by myself. All you have to do it bring a chain with you & put it around the top of the brush guard & wrap it around the towbar to keep it at a certain height. A high-lift jack works fine also.

Make sure you take pics!

*** If you are pulling it in the rain.....be careful around turns! I jack knifed & got pushed sideways down the road when I pulled the 2nd one home in the rain & went around a turn too fast ***

uh60

Thanks for the info I was thinking the same thing with the chain it is good to know that it works. And thanks for the heads up with the wet roads. In Utah you never know we can still get snow here in the valley it is still snowing in the mountains.

Westech

CPL
you can tow for short distances (under 50 miles) with out taking the drive shafts off. I have over 5000 miles in Flat towing cucv's both 09 and 08's. all you have to do is put the T case ONLY!!! in N and leave the trans in Park. If you are going over 50 miles you MUST remove the REAR drive shaft. ONLY THE REAR!!! the front will not turn with the hubs unlocked. If you do not remove the rear drive shaft you will have T case MELT DOWN! Been there done that with a M1008 behind my deuce for 800 miles non stop at 60+ MPH.

kennyw

I've had a tcase with a bad shifter cause problems flat towing less than 50 miles... just make sure the tcase stay's in neutral on its own. Drive slow, take all corners VERY SLOW. 15 miles should be a very easy tow, it will take longer to hook/unhook the tow bar than to make the drive itself.

acmunro

A small ratchet strap hooked to the grille guard in combination with a high lift jack or even an old bumper jack works excellent to keep the tow bar at the right height to hook up. You can make small height adjustments that way.