• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M105 behind Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwai

Look closer. That strap is wrapped around a 4x4. Not exactly proper tie-down procedure. Also, in the original thread you could see that the straps didn't secure the truck properly and that it likely slid back on the trailer causing the trailer to sway uncontrollably leading to the accident.

I can't find the original thread or I would post the link.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look closer. That strap is wrapped around a 4x4. Not exactly proper tie-down procedure. Also, in the original thread you could see that the straps didn't secure the truck properly and that it likely slid back on the trailer causing the trailer to sway uncontrollably leading to the accident.

I can't find the original thread or I would post the link.
Yeah, I saw the trailer, I saw the 4 x 4, I saw the tape, the bubble gum and a little bit of twine.

The only thing the guy managed to do right was keep the trailer and it's load together.

I agree that his redneck ways caused the mishap, but at least the straps, 4 x 4 and bungees held on enough to keep from making it worse.

I was just giving props for the ONLY good thing I saw in the pic.

KsM715

I think its time to close this thread. The OP hasnt been back on SS since his last post on page 4. (unless he's lurking here and just not signing in) Im sure he discovered we (SteelSoldiers) are not the crowd he was looking for. The discussion of the flipped cucv on the trailer needs to be taken over to that thread.

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Too many pages to read on a stupid thread so don't know if anyone said this already but long arms and soft coils don't tow trailers very well.
You have to take into account that at some point all the energy of the trailer is going to be completely on the Jeep. Whether it be braking or hitting a large bump, the 2600 # of trailer plus whatever is in it is going to be solely on the tongue. Tongue weight sitting still is not as much weight as what it will be subjected to when driving.

Your Jeep is setup to offroad, It has soft springs and shocks so it will flex well offroading. The added weight of the trailer is going to cause you to bottom out and bounce a little more than you want to. It may not cause you to wreck the first time you tow it but it is going to put alot of strain on suspension components and your frame. I don't think it's worth tearing up your rig to tow a m105.

But it's your Heep and as long as you stay in Florida I don't have to worry about you running into me!

Oh and post pics! LOL

kenny

You guys are being way to pessimistic. With the right kind of modifications, you can pull anything with anything. :grin:

Chevy Blazer With Custom Hitch | This Is Just Stupid!

( Disclaimer: This was not in 10 did to offend anyone, just trying to lighten the load. )
That is funny . What is more funny is that looks like a trailer that I sold 8 years ago and it was a hard to pull it with a 1984 1 ton chevy 2wd truck. Thanks for the laugh

StreetbikeDepot

Dang, what a bunch of critics.......don't make me use our nifty search feature to find pictures of more sketchy M105 "tow rigs" that have been posted here.

I know there are a handfull of pics Ford Rangers and Explorers and even a station wagon out there pulling M105's. This must be one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" moments.

Sephirothq

I have seen a guy pulling a M105 with a crown vic police car. He used a ball hitch and had it tied to the hitch with wire rope.

THen I remember the story about the guy pulling the M105 in tandeum. Having to strap them together to get it to pull straight.

So we have done some pretty bad/dumb things here.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, what a bunch of critics.......don't make me use our nifty search feature to find pictures of more sketchy M105 "tow rigs" that have been posted here.

I know there are a handfull of pics Ford Rangers and Explorers and even a station wagon out there pulling M105's. This must be one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" moments.
Ok, let's see it - search on. Show me a post from someone who said "Don't do it", yet posted a pic of themselves towing a M105 with something like a little Jeep.

I've said before, I sometimes tow my M105 with my 2500HD GMC and you can feel it back there - but a lightly loaded M105 is well within the tow rating of this truck.

I look forward to seeing all the pics you dig up.

:grin:

moleary

So it sounds like my best bet is just throwing an electric brake axle underneath it and calling it a day. Thanks for the help, wow that was painful...
Not nearly as painful as its gonna be when that trailer starts driving you instead of you driving it.

Here's a reality check for you - just because you swapped out parts from a 3500 doesn't give the vehicle you modified the same towing characteristics. Maybe you got your degree in automotive engineering before you joined the military, but I'm guessing "no". You've got to consider geometries, metallurgy, the general physics of the TWO vehicles you are working with when you go this far off the reservation.

Given that you came to a site asking people for their :2cents: you really don't get to be choosy about the responses you get. I for one am amazed to see someone ignore this many really experienced people just so they can stay on their own misguided path.

Since I live in Florida I think I have a reasonable stake in your decision making, cause if you hit me or someone I love with that cluster-@%&# you've engineered I'm gonna be plenty pissed.

To my friends on here: you may think I'm flaming the OP or being insensitive - I don't want to upset you guys, but I don't really care if he's offended. There are people on the road that I care a lot about, and when some numb-nuts puts them at risk it sets me off. There are plenty of accidents every day (in stock vehicles) that cost the lives of innocent people. Why he would risk the lives of those around him with something like this is beyond me.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are tons of them.....I've been looking at them all morning.....I guess I'll post links.
To qualify, they need to be pics from people who posted that it was a bad idea to do it, even though they have done it themselves.

Otherwise, it's just some fool pulling a M105 with a small ride.

StreetbikeDepot

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/37712-definitive-m105a2-recovery-thread.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/41448-towing-m105-trailer.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/17391-how-crazy-am-i-pulling-m105.html

These are what I found on the first 3 pages of results.......everyone wants to be a critic, you know what they say about opinions.

BTW I chose to get a M101 for my Jeep, but I would pull a M105 anytime and feel perfectly safe.

If you want to talk about safety..........I seen a particular SS member (no I'm not going to throw him under the bus either) recover M105 trailers (yes that was plural) with his civy vehicle and a 2" ball! Just set the lunette on the ball and rolls with it! I take chances but no way I'd have the nuts to try that under any circumstance.

StreetbikeDepot

To qualify, they need to be pics from people who posted that it was a bad idea to do it, even though they have done it themselves.

Otherwise, it's just some fool pulling a M105 with a small ride.

Sorry, I ment SS as a whole not any individual people. Non of those threads above ended with people getting flamed enough to quite responding to their own thread. His rig is more capable than any that I posted still yet he got treated like he did.

Like I said, everyone is a critic, even myself......but I don't criticize unless I have first hand experience in the subject.

Nobody is going to die if he pulls that with his Jeep.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW I chose to get a M101 for my Jeep, but I would pull a M105 anytime and feel perfectly safe.
You might "feel" safe and you might get away with it, but that don't make it "safe".

I move my M105 around my property with my quad and it handles it ok, but I wouldn't put a load on it and take it on the street. And I feel totally SAFE moving it in and out of it's parking spot like that. :smile:

What's your Jeep's tow rating?

A M105 is best towed behind a truck designed to tow it or a least a truck with a tow rating to handle it.

That's my opinion, your milage may vary.

gunboy1656

I have a better idea then finding other peoples pics who took risks.

Since StreetbikeDepot, has the same type of set up as the OP. How about CAREFULLY, showing people that it can/cant be done. Granted you would not have flat trails to run, but it will show which way it would go. Then someone can talk of doing it with experience.

Just a thought.

StreetbikeDepot

You might "feel" safe and you might get away with it, but that don't make it "safe".

I move my M105 around my property with my quad and it handles it ok, but I wouldn't put a load on it and take it on the street. And I feel totally SAFE moving it in and out of it's parking spot like that. :smile:

What's your Jeep's tow rating?

A M105 is best towed behind a truck designed to tow it or a least a truck with a tow rating to handle it.

That's my opinion, your milage may vary.
Stock tow rating is 2000lbs, and thats on a stock YJ that weighs just over 3,000lbs.

My YJ weighs 4300 lbs, with 1 ton axles, and has a new rear frame crossmember broke up from .25 plate (the stock rear crossmember is a flimsy stamped sheetmetal crossmember that drastically dropped the tow rating).

Here is some food for thought.......a stock XJ (Cherokee) weighs the same as a YJ, its unibody and has a tow rating of 5000lbs. Stock to stock they have the same motor, same tranny, same axles, same brakes, except the Jeep has a fully boxed frame and the XJ is a unibody.

All vehicles tow ratings are relative to the hitch (and trailer weight, but a M105 doesn't weigh enough for that to be an issue at 2650lbs) if he has an adequate hitch and he is sprung enough to support the tongue weight (which arent too heavy since I can lift it by myself), there is no issue. Nobody knows his rig better them himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.