• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer lighting

Hey guys I have 27' lowboy I want to pull behind my deuce but the trailer is pulled behind a diff. truck too that is 12 volt whats the best way to wire or convert the output of my system to 12 volt so I can use the trailer with both trucks?

Thanks

bobbed818

panzerwillie and I have been discussing this over the last week or so, it's kinda funny to me no one has had this issue. He has built a converter for his m52. He used 24 to 12 volt converters mounted in an ammo can with a pig tail to plug into his 12 volt trailer system. I believe they were military converters, but I'm not sure. It is portable and can be moved from truck to truck. He says it works well.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Bill W

On my first deuce I went and bought a volt a drop from J.C.Whitney and modified it to have 3 seperate out lets ( holes were already in the ceramic) then wired it to a seperate trailer plug. I got 15volts to the lights and it worked fine, never had a problem with blowing bulbs and the whole deal was less than $50.00

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12 ton series of trailers have 2 complete electrical systems integrated into it. 2 plugs and everything. I could see why one would not want to add non military lights to a military trailer but why not add some military lights to a civilian trailer and have some redundancy.

Tackettr

If your going to just pull one trailer, switching the trailer lights to the newer LEDs is an easy way. I bought a complete set from HF (I know cheap Chinese crap) for $40. The info indicated they were for 12 volts but others on here indicated they work up to 24 volts just fine. I did verify this with mine, appearantly they are equipped with a voltage regulator. I also took a milt trailer plug and mated it to a standard 4 prong plug to make me a short pigtail. Everything is working great on it.

GoHot229

Theres a guy in OUR classifieds that is selling $50.00 reducers. Not to hi-jack this thread, but along the same lines, if your pulling a trailer with a Deuce..... do you need to have clearance lights on your Deuce?....Trailer?.... I would think so on the trailer. Recently I have added a liscense plate light, and have a couple clearance lights from Saturn that came with the truck, though I'v not installed them yet, I intend to. But here and there in recent posts, with all the bs that different states are doing ie. bumper higth, oversize tires and such? Is it going to be nessesary to have clearance lights?

Theres a guy in OUR classifieds that is selling $50.00 reducers. Not to hi-jack this thread, but along the same lines, if your pulling a trailer with a Deuce..... do you need to have clearance lights on your Deuce?....Trailer?.... I would think so on the trailer. Recently I have added a liscense plate light, and have a couple clearance lights from Saturn that came with the truck, though I'v not installed them yet, I intend to. But here and there in recent posts, with all the bs that different states are doing ie. bumper higth, oversize tires and such? Is it going to be nessesary to have clearance lights?
That is a good question. As for bumper height alot of times vehicles that are designed higher than the laws from factory are exempt to this.

Scarecrow1

If you Google Inverter or converter you will see a very long list of products to help you out .....also your local electrical supply may have what you need mine did