• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Winding Noise and miss

OuttaTheWayPECK

1985 M1009 6.2. Looks all stock original. So transmission is making a winding up noise as I go down the road. Best description I can give is one of those fast remote control cars you build sound to me. Just started couple days ago. Feels like tranny is on its way out. Was told by auto shop guy down street to buy Lucas Oil Transmission fix fluid stuff. So wondering what to do about transmission? Should it be rebuilt or can it be replaced? Where do I find exactly what transmission is on the ride? Thanks as usual for the assistance.

OuttaTheWayPECK

So 400 hydromatic is the TH400 ... why would the tranny not be the TH700 ? there is a GMC suburban that has a TH700 says is it compatible.

sorry answered my own question. gearing is different on the th700.

Last edited:

cucvrus

If it were mine. The first thing I would do is service the transmission and the transmission filter. I have solved a lot of whining transmissions with a good fluid and filter change. It does sound like a little electric car when it is whining. Good Luck. About $50. for parts and fluid.

OuttaTheWayPECK

update: Thank the Lord simple tranny service, new filter and fluid. Went with Valvoline ATF GM Chevy flavor. Also added some Lucas and I haven't heard it purr so smoothly. Shifting better. So thankfully I did not need a rebuild. Thank you for the advice SS. Keep Truck'n

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks