• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case adj.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no, but you can put a air dump switch valve like the deuce has in the air control line to drop the xcase into nutral for the front drive, you have to make sure that the switch is fliped so the front will engag or you may end up stuck, i can vouch for that on a first hand bases.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
never seen one, the 5t sprag clutches seem to work a lot better then the deuce

Bidslinger

Re: RE: Transfer case adj.

73m819 said:
no, but you can put a air dump switch valve like the deuce has in the air control line to drop the xcase into nutral for the front drive, you have to make sure that the switch is fliped so the front will engag or you may end up stuck, i can vouch for that on a first hand bases.
Any type of significant mileage benefit? Does the front driveshaft go into a free wheel mode?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Transfer case adj.

no, the axles still turn the third member and the drive shaft
this mil. feild mod was so when being towed the front axle would be in free wheel

jatonka

So with this modification, you could install free wheeling hubs and save turning the front end parts when on longhighway trips?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

i guess that would work, dont know where you would get hubs or the house payment to pay for them, that said .id like a set, just have to sell one of the kids to pay for them

jatonka

Without trying to make anyone of you think I can do it, but if I could do it...... Would any of us want lockout hubs for 5 ton rockwell axles? They have been made and I know where one set is. True interest is very important to me as I am on a working man's budget for R&D. John T

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

jhon, i would be interested, thanks

jatonka

There is one reply, how about 100 more? Then I can do it. Has any of the SS forum people actually taken a 5 ton transfer case apart and knows that there is a middle position on the sprague engaging shaft that is the spot where the shaft rests when no air is applied? I want to build something that will give me positive engagement of the front axle when I want it.The trucks I use and sometimes sell to others have to have all wheel drive when needed, not when the sprague is working right, but all the time. JT out

jatonka

There is one reply, how about 100 more? Then I can do it. Has any of the SS forum people actually taken a 5 ton transfer case apart and knows that there is a middle position on the sprague engaging shaft that is the spot where the shaft rests when no air is applied? I want to build something that will give me positive engagement of the front axle when I want it.The trucks I use and sometimes sell to others have to have all wheel drive when needed, not when the sprague is working right, but all the time. JT out

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Jhon, i have not heard of but a very few like one or two spraque clutches not working, the 5t unit seems to be very, very relieable, a postive in-out like the ww2 trucks would be neet but not sure its needed. at one time i thought of taking the front part of a power divider and adapt it to the xcase in place of the spraque for postive front wheel engagement. front wheel drive mixers have air control engagement for front wheel drive, it works just like a power divider. my thoughts on this

DMgunn

I am absolutely interested in the locking hubs. I know you will hear arguments against the cost/mpg benefit, but I prefer to spend big once, then save a bit forever. I wll have this truck forever, after all.

Maybe you could start a new thread to gauge interest, since I, for example, just happened upon this thread accidentally (the title doesn't fit the wandering final topic).

jatonka

Hi Ron, I run 2 5 ton dump truvcks, an M543A2 wrecker and a M52A2 tractor. My 1st M51A2 dump nver worked in reverse. My next M51A2 sometimes doesn't work in forward. The M52A2 tractor doesn't work either way. The wrecker seems to work in both directions but it's so d#@n heavy that it is hard to tell, it just goes where I point it. I know I need to do something here to make them totally dependable. I am going to take a transfer case apart and figure out a REB style mod for it. I'm interested in everyone's comments. John T

jatonka

Hi Ron, I run 2 5 ton dump truvcks, an M543A2 wrecker and a M52A2 tractor. My 1st M51A2 dump nver worked in reverse. My next M51A2 sometimes doesn't work in forward. The M52A2 tractor doesn't work either way. The wrecker seems to work in both directions but it's so d#@n heavy that it is hard to tell, it just goes where I point it. I know I need to do something here to make them totally dependable. I am going to take a transfer case apart and figure out a REB style mod for it. I'm interested in everyone's comments. John T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks