• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission noise

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
M35TOm is that .69 in now? I know you posted this in a link but I am curious about the .69 performance and am considering that mod myself when I retire so if the gears are available where do you get them? I have a mill but I am not set up to do helical gears with it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
alphadeltaromeo said:
m-35tom said:
but the point is that when everything is right, no noise.
I'd agree...but there will be some noise, but nothing like what is being described by roger.
there is noise, if that is what you would call it, in 1st and rev since they are cog gears. but there is normally NO noise in any other gear. if there is, there is some problem. many of these transmissions are plagued by water and resulting rust because of the shift boot location and a leaking top or windshields. mark to further explain, the gear you thought was worn is in fact as close to new looking as i have ever seen. the marks are what is left from cutting the gear with a gear hob.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
david, the cnc machine ($500k machine, $40k parts) needed to cut my gears is waiting parts, should be very soon.............

armadillofz1

digging around in the search feature i found this old post. seems to be about the same problem i'm having. fifth gear at higher rpms whines like ****. seems to be louder the warmer/longer i drive it. it fades at neutral throttle, but very pronounced at on and off throttle. fluid level is right and seems to have very clean/new fluid in it. it also seems to shift a little harder when warm. i'll pull the top off this weekend and take a look.

*edit* Hard to belive the word hel.l. is blocked. gee willakers! oh fiddlesticks!!

Last edited:

tm america

i agree with you tom the 3053 has helicut gears which are not noisy.unless something is wrong . like bearing. or anything that has to do with alinement.anything that makes it run off center will make it noisy.bad pilot bearings ,missing dowel pins,loose trans to bell housing bolts,or loose bell to engine bolts can cause it to be noisy. my bell to trans bolts were loose making my trans hard to shift and noisy. i tightened them up and now its good as new.those bolts should be safety wired as hard as they are to get to with the trans in the truck:cry:.even just a couple thousands off center will make the trans loud and hard to shift.

bond024

yea, I had just bought a deuce a few weeks ago. When I was driving it I was having a loud whine in fifth gear too. I drove around town for about 2 hours and then at the end of driving, I headed on the highway and a few minutes on the highway at 50mph the tranny started to smell and then i had lost some power and got real hard to shift. I got off the highway and pulled over in a parking lot to check. Went back to my house just fine. Let the truck sit for a few hours and went to start the truck back up and heard a sound like the monkey crawled in the tranny. Now when I put it in Neutral the truck still wants to pull forward and make a noise i have never heard before. I have a new tranny on the way and hope to get to it this weekend.

JTugwell

mine does the same. never misses a beat, but loud as ****. are these something that a transmission shop can rebuild? id hate to buy a new one, and have the same problem now that I know that there is one.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
yea, I had just bought a deuce a few weeks ago. When I was driving it I was having a loud whine in fifth gear too. I drove around town for about 2 hours and then at the end of driving, I headed on the highway and a few minutes on the highway at 50mph the tranny started to smell and then i had lost some power and got real hard to shift. I got off the highway and pulled over in a parking lot to check. Went back to my house just fine. Let the truck sit for a few hours and went to start the truck back up and heard a sound like the monkey crawled in the tranny. Now when I put it in Neutral the truck still wants to pull forward and make a noise i have never heard before. I have a new tranny on the way and hope to get to it this weekend.
So did you do a post-mortem inspection on your transmission?

tsstout

My deuce has developed this exact problem... What have all of you done about it??? What can be done??? Help please.... I'd hate to see her turn into a wheeled storage shed....

I contacted the website m35 posted... anyone else gone that direction???

Thanks.. Terry

oldshep

Mine has made noise in fifth for a while now. But it never gets any worse. When I got the truck i found a couple chunks of metal in the gear oil and it looked like i had gone panning for gold. But it still runs fine. :beer:

volver

Have a whining noise 40mph and above. Pulled trans. Replaced the 3 ball bearings with a higer load rating and the pilot bearing. Spent 10 hours and 200 dollars on this job. It still whines. Help. lol

tm america

Have a whining noise 40mph and above. Pulled trans. Replaced the 3 ball bearings with a higer load rating and the pilot bearing. Spent 10 hours and 200 dollars on this job. It still whines. Help. lol
i would say the most common thing to make a transmission make noise next to the obivious things you would have seen while you had it apart like pitted teeth or bad bearings is a miss aligned bell housing..If the bell housing is not centered on the engine or the trans is not pulled all the way up to the engine it will force the input shaft to sit on an angle thus causing the input gear and counter shaft to be misaligned and will make noise just as a diff would if the gear is not properly set up.
First thing i would do is pull the trans back out and mount a dial indicator to the flywheel and spin the engine around to verify the bell housing id true to the crankshaft..Second check end play on the trans to make sure everything is installed correctly and nothing is moving around...If everything looks good from there i would put some marking compound on the gears and load it as best you can and look at your contact patterns?..>you should have a max of .003 run out in the bellhousing

tm america

Also are you sure it is the trans not the transfer case making the noise?Does it change from gear to gear?does it go away in 4th gear?There is alot of diagonstics that must be done before condeming the trans as the problem?If it just gets worse with road speed and doesnt change with gear changes it is most likely not the trans.. In fourth gear the input and output shafts are coupled and this eliminates most of the gears as being the issue?Does it change when the steering is swayed from side to side when it is making the noise ?if it does it is most likely a wheel bearing if it just gets worse with road speed and there is no change from gear to gear just effected by speed it is most likely a bad bearing in the transfer case?If you wanna pm me i will give you my number and i will talk you thru finding the problem

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything in the drive train whines. The axles are going to be a major source of noise too. If you put a muffler on it, you can hear the noise better.

There's a reason for the "hearing protection required" sticker on the dash.

volver

I agree. You would not be able to hear this whine over the passenger operating the machine gun. LOL. It is louder than normal operating whine i believe.

Parking break is missing a pin for the U shaped separating spring. Opps. Should have check there first. Going to piece some hardware together to make a pin.

volver

5/16th bolt with 1/2in bushing threaded into old brake shoe pin hole. Used .015 feeler gauge to set adjustment of shoes. The whine got better. W00T! No longer sounds like a Wookie. But same high pitched whine still exists. Looking like it might be transfer case. Going to pull drive shafts and spin transfer case while not moving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks