• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop Seat Removal

Tomtsled

Is there some trick to removing them from the bed? The posts look like they should slide up and out. I almost threw out my back (':shock:') trying to lift them up. Could it just be that they've been in there forever and won't come out? Plan B will be to bust out the Sawzall and cut them off.

Blythewoodjoe

They should just pull up but there my be a pin on some models. I think the drop side might have something to hold them in. On the regular bed I have never seen any that don't just pull out. They can be real hard to remove if they have not been out in a while. They all 5 have to come up at the same time too. Encourage them with a pry bar.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bust out the saw! Try and get another person, they are heavy. If they've been in a while, squirt it with WD40 or the like and tap thetubes in the bed with a hammer.

Jones

If the seat slats are wood then they may have dried out and shrunk to the point of holding the posts in a bind. Try shaking them front to rear to break them loose. Another trick is to try prying each one up a little at a time to get them all started moving. And above all, enlist help; these aren't a one man job even on a good day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had to use a portapower before to persuade them out. They can be a pain for sure.

Outdoorbum

See if you can loosen the bolts, one of mine were installed and the post were cocked in different directions. It took a little work and some scrap wood to block under the ends to get them out. Yes a royal pain! Don't cut 'em less you got to!!!

Outdoorbum

See if you can loosen the bolts, one of mine were installed and the post were cocked in different directions. It took a little work and some scrap wood to block under the ends to get them out. Yes a royal pain! Don't cut 'em less you got to!!!

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ideas on how to remove slat bolts

I'm looking for someone more creative than myself to give me an idea on how to get out the bolts that hold the slats to the troop seat frames. Most of the nuts are pretty rusted on and so the round head of the bolt just spins when I try and turn the nuts. The nuts are in a channel so I can't get to them to cut them off or put a nut breaker on them. I don't care about saving the wood slats or bolts, just looking for the easiest, fastest way to get them off without damaging the troop seat frames. Any ideas?

nk14zp

I'm looking for someone more creative than myself to give me an idea on how to get out the bolts that hold the slats to the troop seat frames. Most of the nuts are pretty rusted on and so the round head of the bolt just spins when I try and turn the nuts. The nuts are in a channel so I can't get to them to cut them off or put a nut breaker on them. I don't care about saving the wood slats or bolts, just looking for the easiest, fastest way to get them off without damaging the troop seat frames. Any ideas?
Grind the heads of the bolts off.

CatMan

Another trick is to use a fork lift from the side. Put the fork tips thru the spaces between the seat backs. Or work the troop seat up with a pry bar to get the forks under and then carefully lift. Help the ends with a pry bar and a block of wood on each end as the hydraulics lift. We do it all the time with our stake bed truck sides that run in the winter wet snow and salt.

If it is a drop side model, be sure the seats are unpinned from the pockets

If the wood is too soft and the carraige bolts too rusted, I prefer to cut the bolts with my Milwaukee Sawzall over a zip grinder or cutting torch. Less heat and less damage.

Another tip. The GI wood uprights for the top bows are sized too close (large). When wet they will always swell and stick. Thats why the underside of the metal corner bows are always bashed in. From GI's beating them up and out with a 4X4 or the pioneer tool axe. We replace the rotten and swelled uprights with new ones run thru the planner just a little bit undersized. They will come out much better the next time you take them out for the Memorial Day parade.

Cat Man

renovate7

Talk about throwing out your back! I've put them in and taken them out several times on 2 different trucks. It'll cripple you for a day or two, that's for sure.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced all the wood and hardware on my M35. I used a cutoff wheel and vice grips. I took 3 cutting wheels and about 10 hours to cut them all out, a real royal pain. I used a 6' johnson bar to pry the verticles out, moving down the sides front to back. Heed Jones' words, it's not a Soldier A job, Get Soldier B to help.2cents

Akicita

I had to pull the troop seats out on one side of my truck this afternoon. This is an M35A2 with a regular bed, not a "c" model with the drop side bed. I picked up a load of horse manure and the guy who loaded the truck did not leave enough space when he dumped the stuff out of the front end loader on his tractor. He almost crashed through the seats.

Anyway, this is best done with one person at each end of the seats. My sides are hooked into the panel behind the cab. In order to get the seats up, I have to first get that hook off. Sorry, I don't have a picture but if you look you'll find the hook I'm talking about.

Once your sides are clear of that hook, both people should lift the seats up. Having two people not only helps with the weight of the seats but also allows more control. The seats need to be lifted straight up. They bind when you try to pull them up at any other angle.