• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tubes and Flaps

Sarge

It depends on the tube size. In Texas, 9x20 and 11x20 tubes are about $20 to $30 each. 1600/1800x20 are $66 each. I don't know how much flaps cost, except that I know that they are cheaper than tubes. I've always managed to re-use my flaps by cleaning them up and inspecting them for damage. If rust has stuck to the flaps, you can file it off, no harm done. I always assemble my own wheels and tires. Because of my bad back, I have to use a tractor to move stuff about. Try picking up a 1600x20 and you'll know what I mean. Usually I cannot take the tires off myself, because the rim/tire combo is so old that a ring of rust makes it almost impossible to do by hand. So I load them on my trailer and it's off to my local TCI, who has the right equipment to pop off the tires quickly. $20 per dismount is cheaper than a week in bed. If you have never assembled split rims by yourself, search this website for advice before trying. Split rims can and do kill.

nickd

I just had 2 tires fixed on my truck. Drove over to the truck tire service place. The tires were in the rear. One on the outside and the other on the inside. They took them off and put new tubes in them for $84 bucks. I thought that was a good deal. They worked hard at it and they pressrized them with out using a tire cage. Kinda scared me so I went on the other side of the block wall.

greensix

When I put new titan tires on my m35a2 the flaps came with the tires. military toobs $20 and $35 a tire to change. a good truck shop can deal with the spit rims safely.beware the evil 1" drive impact wrench it puts out 1600ftlbs and if they do not turn it down you will not get studs or nuts off with your lug wrench

acetomatoco

Tightening your Budd Nuts with hand tools give you appreciation of mechanical advantage and peace of mind.. Remember a 200 lb guy standing on a 30 inch Budd Bar is exerting 500 lb/ft.

CGarbee

acetomatoco said:
Tightening your Budd Nuts with hand tools give you appreciation of mechanical advantage and peace of mind.. Remember a 200 lb guy standing on a 30 inch Budd Bar is exerting 500 lb/ft.

You're right about the torque advantage of standing on a Budd bar, but sometimes, I just doesn't compare to having a 1" gun... :)

I shredded a tire on the M817 last week and spent an hour jumping up and down on the Budd bar trying to get the last two lugnuts off (other eight came loose with minimum work). Managed to put a pretty good bend in the bar, but never got the nuts loose.

Limped the truck back to the shop, got out the 1" gun out, and popped them loose in less time then it takes to type this...

Make sure that the guys at the shop (if you get one to do your tire work), don't hammer the nuts on... Consider loosening and then retorquing your lugnutts if you haven't done so as the previous owner (military motorpool), might have hammered them on with thier big gun and time, rust, and dirt will also have done a number on them...

As to the original post:
Tubes for 900x20 seem to run about $17 in my area with flaps a few dollars less. Tire shop charges by the hour ($65/hr) but the three guys that actually do the work hustle and can do ten tires in that time...