• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal ground?

eagle4g63

If you have a meter than before you put the light back in scratch the paint on the hole of the bracket and test to see it has a good ground, the fender may not have a good ground. If you don't have a meter you can make an idiot light with a light socket and wire leads.

If you don't have a good ground there than you have to find out why before going nuts trying to get the light to work.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I'm stumped for the moment. Every light works fine except when I turn the left turn signal on. The upper bulb blinks along with the right also dimly. The bottom bulb the actual turn signal bulb doesn't light up at all. I'm thinking one of the connectors from the bulb housing was put on the wrong connector by the mechanic? I cleaned up all the connections including the housing to the body. same thing, the main bulb for the turn signal does not light up and I substituted the right bulb same thing.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a meter than before you put the light back in scratch the paint on the hole of the bracket and test to see it has a good ground, the fender may not have a good ground. If you don't have a meter you can make an idiot light with a light socket and wire leads.

If you don't have a good ground there than you have to find out why before going nuts trying to get the light to work.
Headlight, side light, 4 ways all work perfect. Only when the left turn sgnal is on do I get the wierdness. The upper bulb(parking light?) flashes dimly along with the right upper bulb flashing dimly on the opposite front side. I'm thinking a wire on the left side is not connected right?

KsM715

But all the lights work fine except for the left turn signal. So it can't be the ground to/from the housing.

The whole housing is not grounded, one bolt is one ground and the other bolt is a seperate ground. They both must be making good contact or you'll have the problems your describing.

eagle4g63

A quick way to check is take off the lens and put a jumper to the ground post's(both of them in the back of the housing) and connect the other end to a known good ground.

If that doesn't give an different results, than the only other way is to get to the connectors on the back, separate them one at a time and check which one has power when the turn signal is activated(it will blink) and then make sure it is hooked up to the wire that the turn bulb is hooked to.....again will have to track it on the inside of the light housing.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whole housing is not grounded, one bolt is one ground and the other bolt is a seperate ground. They both must be making good contact or you'll have the problems your describing.
These are the bolts at the back of the housing correct that ground the turn signal light? I know the headlight is grounded by wire under the little hood, I have two wires just above the headlight, when I disconnected them the headlight got dim.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick way to check is take off the lens and put a jumper to the ground post's(both of them in the back of the housing) and connect the other end to a known good ground.

If that doesn't give an different results, than the only other way is to get to the connectors on the back, separate them one at a time and check which one has power when the turn signal is activated(it will blink) and then make sure it is hooked up to the wire that the turn bulb is hooked to.....again will have to track it on the inside of the light housing.
Okay wilco tomorrow thanks for the help guys, Much appreciated.

KsM715

These are the bolts at the back of the housing correct that ground the turn signal light? I know the headlight is grounded by wire under the little hood, I have two wires just above the headlight, when I disconnected them the headlight got dim.

Correct. One bolt grounds the marker/turn signal lamps and the other bolt grounds the blackout light. In the housing itself, the upper bulb is the turn signal bulb and the lower bulb is the marker lamps, IIRC, and the bulb in the bottom section is the blackout marker. One easy thing to check would be to swap your housings around, take the right side and put it on the left side and see if the problem moves with housing. That will tell you if the problem is in the housing (bad socket ground) or in the grounding continuity thru the fender/chassis.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! I took the housing off and disassembled the whole thing, to find the whole bottom was cracked, the two connections to ground were just complete rust. Attached a couple wires to ground, All good now. I bought a complete housing to replace it eventually, but I need to paint it first. Problem solved. Thanks gentlemen and Merry CHRISTmas.

eagle4g63

Sounds like the same thing that was wrong with mine, grounds all rusted out, inside the light.

Glad you figured it out.....and followed up with the thread posting your results.

JOEDEUCE

I had the same issue with my rear tail lights when I first bought my truck.... Had a bad ground inside the light, had a bad ground where the light ataches to the bracket, and I had a bad ground where the bracket ataches to the frame. Wound up cleaning grounds and replacing both rear light housings..... Good to go...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks