• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgraded deuce's tires to Goodyear G177 11.00R20s (dualed)

Milled my right perch today. After work I went to reinstall it in the pouring rain, but don't worry I stayed pretty dry and so did my tools! :cool:

Right side went back together very easily, I was terrified that the axle would have shifted and caused an alignment issue when I went to lower the spring pack. But everything fell right back into place neatly. Headed over to start on the left side... man what a pain in the A%*. Killed 2 breaker bars trying to get the nuts loose, finally prescribed a vigorous regimen of heat/vibration/torque/repeat until they started to come free. Lots and lots of torque would have freed them up in less time but I had to work with what I had. Next I had a U bolt seized into the lower plate, tons of pressure from the jack and heat again cured it.

Attachments

rustystud

Milled my right perch today. After work I went to reinstall it in the pouring rain, but don't worry I stayed pretty dry and so did my tools! :cool:

Right side went back together very easily, I was terrified that the axle would have shifted and caused an alignment issue when I went to lower the spring pack. But everything fell right back into place neatly. Headed over to start on the left side... man what a pain in the A%*. Killed 2 breaker bars trying to get the nuts loose, finally prescribed a vigorous regimen of heat/vibration/torque/repeat until they started to come free. Lots and lots of torque would have freed them up in less time but I had to work with what I had. Next I had a U bolt seized into the lower plate, tons of pressure from the jack and heat again cured it.
I'm sure hoping your putting on new "U-bolts" after all this.

I'm sure hoping your putting on new "U-bolts" after all this.
Yes I did end up replacing all 4 U-Bolts

Finished mounting yesterday with the exception of the spare which I'm getting a new wheel for.
Hands down the best modification I have yet done to my truck, feels like I'm driving on glass with power steering. Also glides right over bumps that used to toss me around.

Thank you Valence and everyone that contributed to this thread for helping me :grd:.

Attachments

tobyS

Looks good GM... Probably one of the best mods. going. I want an A3 with them on the rear. Money and opportunity have not occurred at the same time.

What spacer did you end up with?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I did end up replacing all 4 U-Bolts

Finished mounting yesterday with the exception of the spare which I'm getting a new wheel for.
Hands down the best modification I have yet done to my truck, feels like I'm driving on glass with power steering. Also glides right over bumps that used to toss me around.

Thank you Valence and everyone that contributed to this thread for helping me :grd:.
I'm really pleased to hear how happy you are with the upgrade so far! *high five*!
(also, beautiful truck! Looks so very sharp!)

Did you end up putting rounded allen wrench bolt heads on the 2 spots on both trunnion caps?

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed to fix a failed keyway seal on the driver's side middle axle, and got a good look at the rubbing that's still taking place there. It has probably been a few hundred miles since I last looked.

As I said, the driver's side middle axle is still rubbing. It didn't appear that the driver's rear had been rubbing at all. Just the center axle as it takes the brunt of the force while turning. I think the only way to truly stop the rubbing would be either/both of the following:
  • Use a 1/2" spacer plate (this may require longer studs on the hub)
  • Install lockout hubs on the center axle and Ouverson double splined axles so while on pavement only the rear most-axle would be powered.

As can be seen, it's actually starting to chunk the very corner of the tire tread.
2016-07-09 11.48.47.jpg 2016-07-09 11.48.56.jpg 2016-07-09 11.49.34.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get an image of mine, but at least 250 miles since I installed the tires and no signs of rubbing at all on bolts or caps.
Same spacers and screws.
Maybe you have better torque bar ends than I? Mine do not look cracked at all, but I haven't done that crow bar test on them to verify... or maybe living in the middle of town like I do, I have a lot more hard corners to make to maneuver my deuce around? :p

Maybe you have better torque bar ends than I? Mine do not look cracked at all, but I haven't done that crow bar test on them to verify... or maybe living in the middle of town like I do, I have a lot more hard corners to make to maneuver my deuce around? :p
Could be, mostly main road and highway driving for me. And a little off road here and there :D

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you have better torque bar ends than I? Mine do not look cracked at all, but I haven't done that crow bar test on them to verify...
The torque rods are just that... they keep the axle housings from rotating. Even with NEW torque rod ends, they will NOT prevent the axles from shifting sideways.

Maybe... take a look here.

G.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The torque rods are just that... they keep the axle housings from rotating. Even with NEW torque rod ends, they will NOT prevent the axles from shifting sideways.

Maybe... take a look here.

G.
Thanks Mr. G.

I know my spindles, nuts, and bearings are fine - as I serviced and inspected all the axle ends 1 year ago (hey if anything, I may be running a little too tight as they're a bit warm after driving, but certainly not so hot that I can't keep my hand in place on the hub). And I've even had the honor of being back in both sides of the center axle to fix my botched job of the keyway seal.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently I was asked the question of how wide are the duals from out side of the tread to outside of the tread. Reminder, this is including my 1/4" spacer plate used on each side.

Answer: Almost exactly 93"

2016-10-22 17.05.15 HDR.jpg

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my truck off-roading at 5-mile pass with Red (click the link for action shots). The tires performed, as expected, very well for this slightly sandy/rocky but fairly firm terrain. It wasn't rock crawling at all, as I'm not out to damage my truck or mud bog it, but to off road, play, and still drive home.

A lesson learned though:
Don't spin the tires in loose, large rocks. One of the tires lost some chunks, but nothing more than pictured here (no whole lugs torn off).
2016-10-22 11.26.22.jpg 2016-10-22 11.26.49 HDR.jpg

Also, in such conditions, you're more likely to wedge a rock in there. A downside of duals to be sure. No damage was done other than some scuffed rubber. I probably drove a 1/2 mile or more with it in there (low speed, off-road). It came out by whacking it with a crow bar braced on top of the inner wheels. This rock is now proudly displayed in my peony flower bed at home. :lol:

2016-10-21 17.28.56 HDR.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

I took my truck off-roading at 5-mile pass with Red (click the link for action shots). The tires performed, as expected, very well for this slightly sandy/rocky but fairly firm terrain. It wasn't rock crawling at all, as I'm not out to damage my truck or mud bog it, but to off road, play, and still drive home.

A lesson learned though:
Don't spin the tires in loose, large rocks. One of the tires lost some chunks, but nothing more than pictured here (no whole lugs torn off).
View attachment 650401 View attachment 650402

Also, in such conditions, you're more likely to wedge a rock in there. A downside of duals to be sure. No damage was done other than some scuffed rubber. I probably drove a 1/2 mile or more with it in there (low speed, off-road). It came out by whacking it with a crow bar braced on top of the inner wheels. This rock is now proudly displayed in my peony flower bed at home. :lol:

View attachment 650403

That there rock is a windshield breaker for sure !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks