• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very hot resistor....why?

tankie88

I have a brand new Alt on the L/H side and a rebuilt Alt on the R/H side.All was working ok for months.Now,when I start up the glow plug light does all the right things and it starts.Then not charging properly with squeeling belt.All of a sudden it will go into the green and charge.After a while the needle drops no charge,horrible smell and the resistor on the back fire wall is red hot.Anyone any ideas??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The resistor is used to supply the GP relay.

If your relay is bad(dirty contacts), there may be extra resistance, causing extra load(heat).

Try measuring the voltage across the two big terminals on the GP relay while it is energized. Ideally there should be none. Any voltage indicates bad contacts.

Skinny

From your description, it sounds like your GP system is turning on after the initial cycle on start up. If the GP's come back on, your volt meter will go down due to electrical load. Your GENs may complain too if the truck is at an idle, belts loose, idle speed low, etc.

That would be the only reason I could think of the resistor being used outside of the initial GP cycle. Sure the relay may be stuck on but you would probably never see the voltmeter go into the green if that's the case.

Westech

CPL
Is it really glowing red hot? Or just hot? Mine will smoke a tad if it is covered in dust or water ect... I would just bypass that junk and have the relay fed 12v off the junction on the fire wall. Change out the relay and flow plugs if you have not done so in a few years and I bet she will work just fine.

tim292stro

To quote your thread title: "Very hot resistor....why?"

Because that's what resistors do - they convert electrical power to heat. Same principal as your glow plugs. The amount of temperature rise is a function of design.

The purpose of the ballast resistor is to drop the voltage by 50% from the 24V batteries down the to 11-10.5V your typical glow plug will need. A good ACDelco 60G glow plug is about 200Watts, 8x of them is 1.6kW - about as much as your average plug-in room heater will draw - since the 1.6kW is only the lower half the the power drawn (ballast resistor uses the other half of the voltage), that means you are using ~1.6kW just to get the voltage right for the plugs - and that power dissipation is condensed down to that tiny space on your firewall (not a big heater with lots of surface area). The glow plug controller should keep the heat times short enough for that resistor to be okay, but check to be sure that is true (bad cards are common, stuck relays are common).

You could replace your ballast resistor with two DC-DC regulators (one per side of the engine) and you wouldn't have so much of a heat issue, and you'd also relieve the potential for a single Glow-plug failure leading to a cascade failures of all 8 plugs - and it wouldn't be so hard on your batteries (DC-DC regulators are WAY more efficient, >89% for DC-DC regulator vs ~50% for a simple ballast resistor). This will cost money (about $250) and under-hood space...

Skinny

the glow plug light does all the right things and it starts.Then not charging properly with squeeling belt.All of a sudden it will go into the green and charge.After a while the needle drops no charge,horrible smell and the resistor on the back fire wall is red hot
Obviously trying to diag across the internet is tough but it sounds like you have old slipping drivebelts and a glow controller than is cycling back on when it shouldn't be. Am I the only one that is reading that here? No one really has addressed why the voltmeter would go from green to red after proper operation followed with the resistor being red hot.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long after it starts does the GP controller cycle? There is a short "after glow" cycle too.

Skinny

mine will glow two times after the main start glow when it is butt cold out.
Good call, what is the weather like across the pond this week? I think you start to get that after glow when it gets into the 40's or lower. Your mileage may vary...plus you have that whole metric thing to convert to.

Chip Chip :)

Skinny

At that temp, you may get a slightly longer after glow :)
If that's the case, the OP may just need to tighten is alternator belts. I wouldn't trust the GP card though.

So I was walking around in the 70 degree t-shirt weather yesterday down here in North Carolina...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks