• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vinyl cab part needed

rgregj

I was taking the cab top off the other day and found that the plastic leading edge that attaches to the windshield frame is brittle and broken. Does anyone have an old one that they want to get rid of? Or does anyone have an idea for alternative repairs. The top itself is in good shape, I'd hate to have to fork out the money for a new one.

Thanks a bunch,

Greg

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with that.. It's all part of the contractors evil plan to sell more of them.. Put a non repairable part on it, of which there are no spares of...

dabtl

I got the vinyl from TNJ Murray. $175, works fine. No opening window and no insulation. But in Texas, who needs the insulation.

acetomatoco

The problem with the channel is that it becomes brittle.. I have one with the channel broken in 3 pieces and I know of one that John Tennis has that the thread all rotted and the channel separated from the top.. Apparently you need a special sewing machine with hot needles to repair them..as that is the way the piercing of the original holes was made when manufactured...The old rope stuff lasted forever if you kept it from rotting...

rdixiemiller

There is a rubber piece that an awning shop can sew in that will work. The awning on my Dads motorhome uses it, has the same profile as the old "rope in canvas" did. Hit the camper/motorhome places up and see who does their awning repairs.

Scrounger

I had the stitching on one of the 818s fail. I took it to a shoe repair place. On all of the vinyl tops that I have the plastic piece is in three sections so it can be folded.

rgregj

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured if I could get my hands on a old one, that I would hand stich it using the existing holes. Thanks for the lead DixieMiller, I'll have to check that out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Greg, for the time it would take, and the lack of strength in the stitch, take it to a shoe repair shop. The cord they use for soles is very strong and you will not get bloody fingers from trying to run a needle and thread through the materials. I tried that before I went to the sewing machine.

rgregj

Agreed Gimpy, now to just find a used one. I thought someone would have one that the canvas was rotten on lying around. I can always duct tape it down in the mean time, lol

acetomatoco

I understand the original 3 piece construction for folding, however, mine is now in 6 pieces, 3 extra... I got the tip on the hot needles from Jatonka, who had that told to him by a third party,.. I am now guilty of passing on what I thought was good poop when I guess I was scammed... oh well... sew it goes....